Wood Floors: when are they "clean"?

SparklingWaterDecember 3, 2012

Hi everyone. I have finished wood floors and clean them regularly by dusting and as per instructions, using Bona Hard Wood Floor Cleaner. I've been known for years to do the whole house over a series of days with large cotton covered mops and on my hands and knees in corners or tough spots, taking my time to get them really clean. Repetitive change out of cotton rags to new white ones as I go.

Recently after I had just cleaned in this manner over a series of days, a gentlemen, helping me with my floors chronic dullness, took a clean rag or whatever (don't recall) and my Bona Cleaner and sprayed the floor and wiped. The rag showed some discoloration: not black, some brown, some light beige. He summed it up that my floors weren't "clean".

There is hardly any finish left on these wood floors so whatever comes in (mainly minus shoes) goes on them in spite of my regular dutch cleaning. I am working to address this.

How do you tell when your wood floor cleaning is "clean enough"? Are your cleaning rags white upon finish? Thank you for the kindness of a response as this is a serious matter to me. Happy Holidays to you all.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gregmills_gw

Have you ever used any other cleaning product on the floor since the last time they were finished?

When was the last time they were refinished?

Color of floor?

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 10:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SparklingWater

Hi, these are white oak floors stained Duraseal RoseWood (love it!) and then Bona Polyurethane Waterborne Finish applied (three coats). But the sheen was too low from the get go (we weren't asked about the various Bona Finish choice of sheens, although my spouse and I made a point of mentioning a polyurethane-like high gloss finish) and the Bona finish seemed to disappear shortly thereafter into the wood. :/ Nothing but Bona Hard Wood Floor cleaner ever touched my floors.

Long story-but I did communicate with the highly recommended wood floor re-finisher about the floors dullness/lack of finish. Much later the wood floor inspector was sent, who said the "dullness" were because the floors were "dirty".

I believe I will need to have the floors abraded lightly and professionally refinished, using a different floor re-finisher as well as product line than Bona this time given what transpired. Just such a shame given the highly recommended referral, great effort put into clearing out the house (at request) and vacating, and attentive post re-finish to Bona Hard Wood Floor Care instructions (not to mention the obvious big bill).

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 11:17PM
More Discussions
Redoing '80's bedroom/bathroom/hallway and looking for flooring ideas
Purchasing a house with wall to wall blue carpet in...
daimonium
Has anyone used Wicanders Vinyl Comfort flooring?
I'm really struggling to find the right floor for my...
lovelierthoughts
Any experience with BellaCera hardwood flooring and/or hickory wood?
We fell in love with a hickory hardwood in their line,...
happyallison
cleaning hardwood floors & tile floors
What's best way to clean hardwood floors.... how can...
kat123
Brazilian Teak floor typical characteristics... or defects?
I just received shipment of Brazilian teak floors....
klpenton
Sponsored Products
DreamLine Unidoor Plus 45 to 52-1/2" W x 30-3/8" D x 72" H Hinged Shower Enclosu
Modern Bathroom
Couristan Fresco Summer Daisy Indoor / Outdoor Area Rug Multicolor - 20634000020
$59.00 | Hayneedle
Poppy Field Rug 8' x 11' - BLACK/WHITE
$2,300.00 | Horchow
Home Decorators Area Rug: Faux Sheepskin Purple 10' x 13'
Home Depot
Chromaglo Bright White LED Round Reflector Pendant by SONNEMAN Lighting
$900.00 | Lumens
Silver Acadia Wool Rug
$29.99 | zulily
Adirondack Gear Table by Robert Abbey
$314.60 | Lumens
Hudson Valley Lindale Transitional Reading Lamp