Need BR Carpeting

chisueDecember 5, 2012

I've just read the "Mohawk" thread from March 2012. Any updates to the softstrand pro's and cons'? Anything further on vacuuming problems? I have a central vac with great suction -- no power assist -- have a 'carpet' attachment for this room. (I only use suction on my orientals.)

I need to buy a piece of carpeting 11 X 14 and have it bound for use in our MBR. (I realize I will need to buy 12 X 14 and waste a strip!)

I have at home a sample from Menard's. It's Mohawk 65 oz. plush @ $2.87/ sq ft. ("Twilight" is the store's name for the style, and the color is 08 - 'Mountain Moss'.) The twist strands look to be about 3/8 of an inch long (at most). Says it is "Everstrand" and Scotchguarded. (Why did I think Scotchguard had been outlawed?)

Advice on "Everstrand"? Says it is made from recycled plastic bottles. I am sensitive to chemicals. Problem?

We have a 13-year-old terrier with a maddening habit of eating 'carp' on the sly and regurgitating it at 3 a.m.

This is my first try buying from a big box store. I live in the suburbs of Chicago.

Thanks for all help and advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DIYguy_FL

EverStrand & SmartStrand are two great carpets from Mohawk.

EverStrand is a great value carpet and environmentally friendly ie the plastic bottles, actually an amazing story about how the carpet is made. Scotchgard is not outlawed and they're pretty much been the leader in providing a safe topical stain treatment.

However, that brings me to why I love SmartStrand even more.
Scotchgard will wear off over time because it is topically applied during the manufacturing process. SmartStrand's stain protection is engineered in the fiber structure so it's guaranteed to last for life. Great choice for homes with animals because it's so durable. (fyi-- SmartStrand Silk is a different line of carpets. It's not offered at big box stores right now, so you don't have to worry about needing a specific or different vacuum if you go with the SmartStrand.)

Hope that helps!

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 7:01PM
More Discussions
EZ Lay Vinyl Plank Reviews?
We are looking at installing the Tiramisu EZ Lay Vinyl...
kyorkston
Bamboo Floor Disaster
Hi, I got new bamboo floors when I renovated my NYC...
katefriedmann
Brazilian Cherry with infloor heat, rug or no rug
We just got our in floor heat installed in the sunroom. Hoping...
sewwhatsnew
concret floors
can you put linoleum on bare concret floors
marykwiley
Float or glue engineered wood over very smooth concrete slab
Hello, I am a recent first time homeowner who has been...
hueydj
Sponsored Products
New Cat Condos Triple Cat Tunnel - 110031 - BEIGE
$139.99 | Hayneedle
Magis | Flying Carpet Rug, Quick Ship
YLiving.com
Darya Rugs Suzani, Raspberry, 6'2" x 6'2" M1710-401
Darya Rugs
Educational Insights Dino Construction Company - Triceratops Bulldozer - EI-4153
$41.99 | Hayneedle
Couristan Moonwalk Laurel Leaf Area Rug - 69974226018037T
$49.00 | Hayneedle
Surya | Circle and Branch Contempo Rug
YLiving.com
Darya Rugs Suzani, Orange, 8'2" x 10'5" M1732-30
Darya Rugs
Herman Miller | EamesĀ® Soft Pad Side Chair
YLiving.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™