'knockoff' tile at Lowes??

otksauntDecember 26, 2010

Hi there. I am considering the American Olean Vallano collection tile for my master bath flooring and shower. I was at Lowe's looking at tile and found the exact same tile marketed under the Barella collection by American Olean. The tile colors/style is exactly the same but much cheaper at Lowes. Does anyone know if this could truly be the same tile and they sell it under a different name at Lowes? Thanks for any input and happy holidays to you!

Otksaunt

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Floorsource

otksaunt,

Manufacturer's typically make the same products for the Big Box stores and indepepndant flooring retailers, however they often sell them under different names. Sometimes the product specs for the Big Box stores are changed just slightly to give them a cost advantage. So in your case the tile thickness could be the difference between the two. It could also be the identical product with no difference.

Hope this helps.

Jason Goldberg

Bookmark   December 29, 2010 at 7:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Stonetech

Bottom line is to take 10 or 12 of the tiles and line them up vertically. See if there are noticable variations in the size. This will determine how well the grout joints line up. Also, eyeball down the edge of a few of them. Decent tile is FLAT. If they look "cupped," go somewhere else.

Bookmark   January 1, 2011 at 7:30PM
More Discussions
What cork flooring manufacturer is best?
I am leaning towards cork flooring in my kitchen reno...
laurarenos7
Need help getting ink/marker off hard wood flooring
Anyone had a child mark on their hardwood floors with...
mattsarmymom
Has anyone purchased from value floors direct?
Has anyone purchased flooring from value floors direct? I...
willintotry
Natural hickory...yes or no....pics inside
I got a sample box and put it out on over the carpet...I...
msekfe
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
NYMK
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™