Moisture barrier for laminate floor

pcthompsonDecember 28, 2012

My basement was poured over rigid foam.. I believe it was 3/4" -1' thick. I want to install laminate flooring in one of the basement rooms. Do I still need to install the flooring over a moisture barrier?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
StoneTech

It all depends on the moisture content down there. An easy check is to take a square of plastic wrap....Saran Wrap will work.....about a foot square. Duct tape it completely around the edges and leave it for 1-2 days. See if there is any moisture or "dew" formed inside it. If so, you might be able to use a roll on rubber-type membrane to protect the laminate. If you see LOTS of moisture, there might be hydrostatic pressure under the slab. If that's the case, you have bigger issues and laminate may not be the way to go...

Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 1:18PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

It will still need the cushion even if a moisture barrier is superfluous. Might as well buy the standard cushion that also acts as a moisture barrier and not worry about if the subfloor foam was punctured during the pour.

Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 4:16PM
UniqueWoodFloor

I would use an underlayment that serves as both accustical pad and vapor barrier. Floor Muffler with STC at 74 and IIC at 73 is a good one we like a lot for both purposes.

Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 9:48PM
More Discussions
LVP Underlayment
Hello all. Like everyone here I am in the middle of...
ryancoc22
Bamboo flooring from LL bad odor
I purchased morning star bamboo strand click flooring...
rg100
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
nanj
has anyone put down oiled wood floors?
i fell in love with floors by a company called DuChateau....
Bridget Helm
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
NYMK
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™