refinishing reclaimed maple--can patina be preserved

dlowen7861December 21, 2010

Hi. I just bought a mid-century modern home in southern california that needs a complete remodel before I can move in. I'd love to install reclaimed floors. I found some reasonably priced reclaimed maple flooring that was removed from a school classroom and gymnasium in Ohio. The floors are very scrathed up and dirty. I'd love to buy this flooring and have it installed. However, it is extremely important to me that the existing color/patina be preserved. Is it possible to have this flooring refinshed in a manner that maintains its color/patina? Thank you so much in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodfloorpro

Old school flooring needs to be looked at closely, 1) is there finish along the edges from years of maintenance recoating? It will keep the flooring from going together nicely and is nearly impossible to scrape off 2) has the flooring been poorly sanded? Very likely and that would result in a variety of heights when reinstalled. It would therefor need to be sanded to a livable smoothness and lose the patina your looking for.

My experience is it's not worth the effort to deal with this type of salvaged flooring, just too much work for result.

Bookmark   December 21, 2010 at 6:57PM
More Discussions
Tile over fiberglass?
Long story short, we added some porches to our new...
Nick Anderson
Tiling on Cement Subfloor or Wood Subfloor?
I live in San Francisco and we are not near any water...
gqchynaboy
Floor sanding/screening question
I just purchased my first home and decided to get the...
berlinswing
Suggestions for Beach House Flooring
Building a 2500 SF house and 500 SF carriage house...
cobbyw
Review on Taun wood
Has anyone used Taun wood for flooring? We are looking...
itspepsico
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™