How to transition from one tile to a different tile

SVWillowDecember 12, 2012

Our Florida house on a slab is mostly an open floor plan. It has tile in the entry way continuing through to the kitchen and family room in the back, but the living room and dining area are carpet. The wall colors for this area are the same. We hate the carpet, and would prefer tile. We can't remove the existing tile floor as it goes under the cabinets, and we'll never be able to match it. (16" x 16" neutral brownish color with a slightly irregular surface, laid straight with a darker brown grout.) We have two openings that connect directly to the now carpeted areas: a large one directly from the entry way, and a smaller one from the kitchen.

What colors, size, etc., should we be looking at? Similar or totally different? How should we transition from one tile to another? We'd also consider going with wood, but we'd end up with three different floor coverings in a small house. Suggestions? Will also post this in the Home Decorating Forum.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreenDesigns

Sure, you can replace the existing tile and do the carpeted areas if you want to deal with the mess and expense. It's not at all an undoable proposition. It's commonly done.

If you want to break it up and put tile where the carpet currently is, it's better to have a coordinating color but not a "matchy" color. If you do something too close to what exists, it looks like you tried to match and missed. It also works to use decorative listellos or different sizes of the new tile to create a pattern that separates the two areas.

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 9:09PM
More Discussions
What to use on edging and stairs when stripping of old hardwood floor
We are in the process of stripping and refinishing...
candeelyn
Brazilian Cherry with infloor heat, rug or no rug
We just got our in floor heat installed in the sunroom. Hoping...
sewwhatsnew
Engineered hardwood floor help needed
We are going to be selling our home and currently are...
cinnamon01
Experiences with vinyl flooring
Hello, I was wondering individuals experiences with...
einajr
Is my home now un-inhabitable due to asbestos?
I have 9x9 tiles in my laundry room which I was told...
Howard
Sponsored Products
Luxe Tile Giclee 13 1/2" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Educational Insights Picture Perfect Design Tiles - 1723
$31.99 | Hayneedle
Austin Tea Leaf Neutral Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Peyton Brown Tech Track Pendant for Lightolier Track Systems
Euro Style Lighting
Tile Patterned Indoor-Outdoor Rug
$87.99 | Dot & Bo