Oil floor-finish coming off, inconsistent surface

lethargoDecember 31, 2011

We had our 60 yr old hrdwd floors refinished 3 month ago. Our refinishing company suggested oil over poly for our family, which includes 2 toddlers and an aging dog. I feel I have been very careful following the care and cleaning instructions. When I run into a sticky spot or place where a drop of milk has dripped while cleaning, the finish comes off while I'm scrubbing. There is a lot of food and drink that ends up on the floor, and I am cleaning it often throughout the day. I have tried various strengths of the cleaner that the company supplied. Also, the finish never has a consistent finish to it-when viewed at an angle it always looks a little...oily or greasy.

We are very dissatisfied with our floors, and I'm wondering if perhaps a bad product might have been used, or improperly handled. We had looked at a sample floor that looked very nice-which is why we chose it, and feel that the finish we received is much more inferior...

Should we clean and reapply or sand and poly??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodfloorpro

We would need to know the brand and type of finish, Oil can be either linseed oil, hard wax oil or oil polyurethane. I would guess hard wax but from your description it may be linseed.

Bookmark   January 1, 2012 at 9:31AM
lethargo

The oil used was Rubio monocoat, in a natural/clear color.

Bookmark   January 1, 2012 at 11:01AM
brickeyee

A "one coat oil finish" is not going to look like the old film forming finish you had.

Bookmark   January 1, 2012 at 2:47PM
More Discussions
farm house Floors
Hello everyone. I live in a old farmhouse in new england....
jennybog
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
nanj
Water-based finish over dark stained floors?
Hi all, Folks are about to start flooring work on my...
afrochic2
Has anyone used Smartcore Floors from Lowes
Hi, we're looking for something that we can put over...
amoore1205
Anyone used Coretec?
I have searched and searched, but I haven't seen any...
joygreenwald
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™