Heat pump Thermostat

bus_driverMarch 25, 2013

With my heat pumps, I rarely change the thermostat settings. Except for one of "those special nights" when it is bumped up 4 or 5 degrees for a couple of hours.
It appears that once the auxiliary heat is engaged, it stays that way until the thermostat is fully satisfied. For example, raising the thermostat just one degree does not normally engage the auxiliary heat. But raising it 4 degrees soon starts the auxiliary and it stays in that mode even when the temperature rises to within 1 degree of the increased setting. Are there any thermostats that do not operate this way?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fsq4cw

A âÂÂSmart Recoveryâ âÂÂLearningâ thermostat would be able to determine at what time your system would have to turn on to reach your desired set point and hour of day without engaging the backup. The backup is called for whenever there is a demand for heat and the temperature differential between temperature and set point is 2 degrees or greater. This âÂÂSmart Recoveryâ only works with programmed setbacks if IâÂÂm not mistaken.

As described, your thermostat is behaving as it should.

SR

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 9:36AM
tigerdunes

I agree with above post. Unless you use setbacks, I would leave well enough alone.

IMO

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 10:18AM
mike_home

I think the OP wants to be able to push up the thermostat 4-5 degrees during any given night and not have the auxiliary heat on until the thermostat is satisfied. Other than that there are no set back periods.

A possible solution would be to install an thermostat which has an external temperature sensor. You can then lock out the auxiliary heat whenever the outside temperature is above a setting you can program. A thermostat like the Honeywell Vision Pro could do this. A typical outdoor temperature setting would be 35 degrees. You would have to experiment what temperature works well with your heat pump. The drawback is it will take longer to raise the temperature, but you will save some money by not using the electric heat strips.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 12:19PM
tigerdunes

A 4-5 degree setback on heating or cooling is too much for a Heat Pump and especially if HP is very close on BTUs to the load calc design temperatures. I would never recommend that.

I would also suggest false economy as well. Using heat strip thermostat would be satisfied fast. Without heat strip heat pump might struggle to recover and run continuously for hours. Then there is the comfort factor to take into consideration.

IMO

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 12:50PM
bus_driver

My question is answered. Thanks.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 7:33PM
More Discussions
Nozzle size for Oil Burner ??
I have a Slant fin oil furnace that heats my water...
big_al_41
Does anyone have experience with an R6GI?
I'm looking at some options to replace one of my HVAC...
aggieben
2 Stage vs 1 Stage
I am trying to decide what HVAC replacement system...
cms9323
Baseboard heater thermostats
We are looking to install (2) 120v baseboard heaters...
stephja007
auxiliary heat vs. emergency heat
Greetings, I have a Bryan Evoltion Control heat pump...
decadent
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™