Tiling basement bathroom - Should I put Ditra (uncoupling membran

jarvinenDecember 19, 2012

I'm ready to tile our unfinished basement bathroom. Our basement floor is in excellent shape (flat, no cracks, dry). Should I tile directly on the floor? Or should I use an uncoupling membrane - Ditra - for protection against possible moisture and to keep the floor a bit warmer?

Another concern I have is that I'll be using Dricore flooring underneath laminate in the remainder of the basement. If I tile directly on the floor I'll have an issue with the flooring level being different between the main basement and the bathroom.

Any advice or recommendations? Dricore advises against tiling directly on it, so I can't use Dricore under the bathroom tile.

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedyacres

You shouldn't tile directly on Dricore because you need a tile underlayment. But you can put Ditra on top of the Dricore and tile over that. That's what I'd do in your bathroom, to keep the floors level throughout your basement.

Oh, and Ditra does nothing to warm up the tile.

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 10:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
StoneTech

You are correct in that Ditra does nothing to warm up the tiles....however, it will tend to "insulate" the tiles from the slab somewhat, so there may be some value in not directly transferring the slab temperature to the tile. Not much, but a little......

Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 1:32PM
More Discussions
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
nanj
has anyone put down oiled wood floors?
i fell in love with floors by a company called DuChateau....
Bridget Helm
Is it a bad idea to use pebble tiles in the kitchen?
I am wondering if pebble tiles work ok in the kitchen...
sherry0117
Solid or engineered wood treads on stairs
I'm in the middle of a major home renovation, which...
swguru
Bamboo flooring from LL bad odor
I purchased morning star bamboo strand click flooring...
rg100
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™