Danish Oil on Oak Floor?

rmiriamDecember 19, 2012

I need an objective third party...I am refinishing all the original 1949 hardwoods in my house and extending the wood into another room. My floor refinisher wants to use one coat of Watco Danish Oil on the floors, and he says that will be sufficient to protect them. I have a todder, and want an oil-based finish so it can be repaired, but I'm not sure this will do it. Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rwiegand

Watco makes a very nice finish on furniture that won't be abused (not recommended for tabletops). That typically takes a half dozen coats or more, a lot of hand rubbing, and provides essentially no protection against spills and such. I haven't had much success in "repairing" rings left from wet glasses, etc. For a floor I would go the other way and use a tough polyurethane (eg Bona Traffic) that doesn't need to be repaired in any normal usage situation.

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 12:58PM
gregmills_gw

Yea. Go with the urethane. You will be happy the first time your kid throws anything on the floor.

Today you have options as far as a water bourne urethane or a oil based poly. Both work similar. Although the oil based is smellier and requires more time to dry/cure

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 6:59PM
rmiriam

Thanks to both of you. That's what I thought, but everyone in my neighborhood uses this guy, and has for 30 years. Guess he's not keeping up with the times.

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 8:12PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

I'd suggest both. A penetrating oil to bring out the beauty of the wood, then a tough poly for the topcoating.

Bookmark   December 20, 2012 at 7:45AM
More Discussions
Natural hickory...yes or no....pics inside
I got a sample box and put it out on over the carpet...I...
msekfe
Black Walnut Grades
Hi all! Could someone tell me if these two pictures...
luciole
Anyone used Coretec?
I have searched and searched, but I haven't seen any...
joygreenwald
I need help on how to get cat urine odor out of concrete?
We had a cat that was 24 years old and the last year...
lindadianne
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
nanj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™