Please help me choose a wide plank hickory floor

laurajane02December 30, 2011

Hi there!

DH and I are building a log style post and beam house this spring (with Pioneer Log Homes of BC). We have decided that we want wide plank solid hickory wood floors . We want the select or heirloom grade of hickory wood.

The issue is, there are so many retailers online, how do you choose? I know that with hickory, samples aren't necessarily representative of the floor you'll get. I love the Carlisle heirloom hickory, and I'm willing to pay for it, but DH thinks that we can get a comparable product for less. Is that true? Can any of you recommend a retailer? I'd love to see pictures of your wide plank hickory floor!

Also, if you can give me feedback on pre-finished vs site-finished wood flooring, that would be great. DH and I differ on that issue as well.

Thank-you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mjjones453

I have had the Montana Cabin Hickory installed on our main floor for about 7 years now. It is a prefinished flooring, and has done very well with our granddogs nails. I have the 3 different widths of flooring,I am not sure of the grade, but it has alot of knot holes,it is not a Heirloom grade. If you research on this site(flooring Forum), other people have hightly recommended them. My husband and I both still say this was the best decision we made to improving our home. Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: chelsea plank flooring

Bookmark   January 3, 2012 at 12:37PM
More Discussions
Has anyone purchased from value floors direct?
Has anyone purchased flooring from value floors direct? I...
willintotry
Indusparquet...opinions, please
After a frustrating on-off search for over two year,...
joyintx
has anyone put down oiled wood floors?
i fell in love with floors by a company called DuChateau....
Bridget Helm
Somerset Country Hardwood Made in China
After ordering 1650 sf of Somerset Country hardwood,...
blondie859111
What cork flooring manufacturer is best?
I am leaning towards cork flooring in my kitchen reno...
laurarenos7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™