Please help me choose a wide plank hickory floor

laurajane02December 30, 2011

Hi there!

DH and I are building a log style post and beam house this spring (with Pioneer Log Homes of BC). We have decided that we want wide plank solid hickory wood floors . We want the select or heirloom grade of hickory wood.

The issue is, there are so many retailers online, how do you choose? I know that with hickory, samples aren't necessarily representative of the floor you'll get. I love the Carlisle heirloom hickory, and I'm willing to pay for it, but DH thinks that we can get a comparable product for less. Is that true? Can any of you recommend a retailer? I'd love to see pictures of your wide plank hickory floor!

Also, if you can give me feedback on pre-finished vs site-finished wood flooring, that would be great. DH and I differ on that issue as well.

Thank-you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mjjones453

I have had the Montana Cabin Hickory installed on our main floor for about 7 years now. It is a prefinished flooring, and has done very well with our granddogs nails. I have the 3 different widths of flooring,I am not sure of the grade, but it has alot of knot holes,it is not a Heirloom grade. If you research on this site(flooring Forum), other people have hightly recommended them. My husband and I both still say this was the best decision we made to improving our home. Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: chelsea plank flooring

Bookmark   January 3, 2012 at 12:37PM
More Discussions
Engineered hardwood floor help needed
We are going to be selling our home and currently are...
cinnamon01
Best flooring for dog who doesn't 'hold it'
Hello Everyone- I am moving into a new house. The house...
krylander
3/8 vs 1/2 inch thick engineered hardwood for staple down installation
We are trying to decide between two similar engineered...
chellefnp
Has anyone used Wicanders Vinyl Comfort flooring?
I'm really struggling to find the right floor for my...
lovelierthoughts
Smartstrand carpet dilema
I am replacing the carpet in my family room and after...
sharon_va
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™