sheets and towels

honeyb2August 17, 2007

Hi all -

I tend to buy mid-range brand name linens at department stores when they go on sale, but I usually end up disappointed in their quality. I probably need to stop living in the 70's, start accepting that stuff costs more now, and put out some real money for something better than Martex or whatever. But I definitely don't want to pay more and still be disappointed. Does anyone have a brand/source for towels and sheets that they really think are high quality/good value? If so, I'd love to hear about it. TIA.

deborah

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sweeby

If you want great quality at a great price more than any particular color or style, then IMO, Tuesday Morning is hard to beat. If you're looking for a particular color or style, then of course, it's hit or miss. Costco has some great 540 thread count sheets in now for, IIRC, about $69 for a queen set. We bought a set and think they're FANTASTIC. They're easily my favorite set and I have a minor addiction to high TC sheets...

Costco also has some microfiber cotton bath sheets that I love. Limited color selection - but if it's a color you like --

And a related question -- Anyone try bamboo towels? They feel very soft in the store, but I'm wondering about absorbancy and how they feel after a few washings. Any reviews?

Bookmark   August 17, 2007 at 2:37PM
weed30

I found some sheets I really like at Kohl's, which is surprising because I am pretty picky about nice soft sheets. I was leery about the "sateen", but they are great. These are soft right out of the first wash, and not thin like some others.

Here is a link that might be useful: clicky

Bookmark   August 17, 2007 at 10:17PM
honeyb2

Sweeby - thanks! I never heard of Tuesday Morning, figured maybe it was a Texas thing, looked it up and supposedly there's one just a few miles from my house. Apparently I need to get out more. I'll check it out. I'll look at Costco too. Anyone else have suggestions about specific brands, or catalog or online sources you love?

Bookmark   August 17, 2007 at 10:18PM
honeyb2

thanks weed - there's definitely a Kohl's around here so I'll check these out. I feel a lot better shelling out $70 for sheets once someone has told me that they're not going to pill up after 3 wash cycles like last my last set did.

Bookmark   August 17, 2007 at 10:48PM
susan209

I just bought two sets of towels at Kohl's and besides being longer and a little wider than what I was used to, they are wonderfully soft and med. thick......really impressed & they wash beautifully. If this will help, I just looked up price I paid early July, bath was 13.99 and hand towel was 10.99 and they were having a sale of buy one and get one free. Kohl's is always having "biggest sale of the season" or something sale so I never, ever have paid full price. You know what I do like about Kohl's is that they carry so many good name brands like Lee, Levi, Sag Harbor, Bali, Kitchen Aid, Nike and they have really good sales. I like being a 'senior' and getting the usually 15% off on Wed. Do go look up the towels and all the wonderful colors (they have winter colors and spring color lines).

Bookmark   August 17, 2007 at 11:48PM
adoptedbygreyhounds

I asked a similar question a while back. Here's a link to the old thread. See below.

Here is a link that might be useful: towel question

Bookmark   August 18, 2007 at 7:45AM
oofasis

Earlier this week I bought (and received already) a wonderful set of 100% Egyptian cotton, 500 thread count sheets at Tuesday Morning. They're made by the Italian company, Sferra, and retail for $710, but TM had an online offer close-out price for only $139 for a queen set. I've bought them at close-out before, and they're just amazing. Super soft, and softer still with each wash. No pilling, either. And these aren't "seconds." I would NEVER pay big bucks for my sheets, and not all Egyptian cotton is alike, but Sferra makes a really luxurious linen. The sale is still ongoing, I believe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tuesday Morning's online sheet sale

Bookmark   August 20, 2007 at 2:03AM
natal

Hey Weed, saw the salute over on the CF.

Bookmark   August 20, 2007 at 1:37PM
honeyb2

adopted by greyhounds, thanks for the link to that thread - duh, I shoulda done a search. Anyway, I've printed it all out. Can't wait to move all my "carwash" towels out to the garage where they belong.

oofasis (I still chuckle when I see your name, remembering from whence it came) - thanks for the sferra link - in a classic case of ya snooze, ya lose, the queen sheet sets are gone. alas.

weed - if you happen to see this - happy b-day!

everybody - thanks for all the ideas!

Bookmark   August 20, 2007 at 3:40PM
gfiliberto

The very best towels that I have found are the Embrace towels by Christy. They are made in England and sold by Bloomingdales.
They are made of a combination of cotton, silk, and modal.
They are super soft and absorbent!

Here is a link that might be useful: Embrace towels by Christy

Bookmark   August 20, 2007 at 9:42PM
More Discussions
48 inch WOLF DF Range, Steamer, Wall oven
Hello, I need some advice since these are a huge investment...
hkwan
Quartz Countertop Color
We are going with quartz countertop for our kitchen...
kathy6421
Walnut slab for island with sink
We are building a home and I am considering using a...
sherry0117
Need help with kitchen layout
Looking for ideas. I think the island is too big at...
cinnamon01
Small Kitchen Reveal - Complete with total redo of the plan during!
It was hard to even begin to post since my kitchen...
lurkerlisa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™