Possibly Vinyl Sheet Flooring Asbestos Backing

CodyyDecember 14, 2011

Hello,

I need some risk assessment advice.

I recently moved into a new place and discovered vinyl sheet flooring with some damage, in the basement. Here is an image of it:

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/2424/imag0077ka.jpg

I am aware that old vinyl sheet flooring may contain asbestos backing material. Upon close inspection of the exposed backing material (in the areas of the image where the flooring is obviously damaged) I discovered what appear to be fiber bundles protruding from the material - it definitely seems like asbestos to me.

To prevent any further possible release of ACM, I have coated the exposed damage edge of flooring with silicone to bind the material.

I need some risk assessment at how bad this is though. I have only been here for about a month, the landlord has lived here for about 15 years possibly, so obviously this damage was cumulative and occurred slowly, not all at once. Given the extent of the visible damage in the photo, do you think serious contamination is a concern? That area may have been walked on and I am concerned about household contamination from things such as socks touching it and being washed with other clothes, dust tracked through the house, etc. What are your thoughts? This discovery has been quite distressing overall.

The backing material seems quite stable. I touched it with gloves very gently and the fiber bundles seem quite firm. The backing material itself is also well put together and does not fall apart when being touched gently.

Thanks,

Cody

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Floortech

It poses no risk in it's state. Just forget about it.

Bookmark   December 15, 2011 at 12:13AM
Boulder_Outpost

Asbestos was removed from vinyl flooring in 1984. You are no risk, it is dangerous only if sanded.

Bookmark   December 15, 2011 at 6:13PM
francesca_sf

If you are worried, send a sample to a reputable lab to be tested. It runs $25 - $50 and you'll have the results in 1-3 days. Although asbestos backing on vinyl flooring was outlawed, some shady flooring retailers were still installing it after 1984. We found that out just before we removed flooring from our kitchen!

Bookmark   December 18, 2011 at 7:42PM
glennsfc

I believe that retailers could legally sell and install asbestos containing flooring after 1984 up until a date which I don't remember.

Bookmark   December 18, 2011 at 11:39PM
Samantha111

Yes, I think manufacturing was stopped but they were still allowed to sell the old stock.

Bookmark   December 19, 2011 at 12:01AM
More Discussions
Smartstrand carpet dilema
I am replacing the carpet in my family room and after...
sharon_va
Question for Medium Brown Stained Hardwood Floor Owners
We are having our red oak hardwood floors sanded down....
clwguy
Ceramic wood tile into sunken living room?
Getting ready to remodel a house I am purchasing. Would...
m323
Engineered hardwood floor help needed
We are going to be selling our home and currently are...
cinnamon01
No hardwood warranty from HOM Furniture store - midwest
So after falling in love with Birch engineered floor...
Maryna
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™