Best Underlayment for engineered wood floating floor

defurryDecember 2, 2007

I am putting in a 1/2" engineered wood click-float floor over a wood subfloor, and need to select an underlayment for it. My primary concern is not pass-through sound to the floor below or thermal insulation quality, but rather having a floor that sounds like solid wood when walked on. I have read many posts on this and other forums of people speaking very highly of the FloorMuffler product for achieving a "solid wood floor sound," even though it is only 2mm thick. Is this product still better than a cork underlayment? 6mm cork is three times the cost of FloorMuffler, but I would spend it if it created a better result.

Also, does a 6mm cork underlayment sound any more "solid" than a 3mm cork? And what can you tell me about the IIC and STC ratings? I am of the belief that the IIC measures the product's ability to absorb reflective sound, thus making it sound more "solid." Does a higher IIC number indicate a better product? Any help that folks can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerry_t

I have not used cork, so I can't speak about that. I have used many other underlayments including FloorMuffler. In my personal experience Sound Solutions underlayment is the best for what you are asking about. One person can't hardly lift and carry a 6ft wide roll of this.

Three things you need to have to achieve a quiet and fairly solid feeling floating floor.

The substrate has to flat,flat,flat.
Use a premium underlayment.
Pick a quality floor with excellent milling and a stout joinery system, and the thicker it is the better imo.

I have installed this way before and it is very solid feeling underfoot. Most folks are surprised when they discover it's a floating floor.

Bookmark   December 2, 2007 at 4:47AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
infohound2006

How do the price and R-value of Sound Solutions compare to FloorMuffler or any other reasonable underlayments?

We'll be installing over a hydronic radiant floor (REHAU Raupanel), and want to be able to get good performance with low water temperatures.

Bookmark   November 27, 2008 at 1:54AM
More Discussions
wood floor finish (am I being too picky)
We recently had our wood floors refinished with the...
Jennifer White Green
Floor sanding/screening question
I just purchased my first home and decided to get the...
berlinswing
Review on Taun wood
Has anyone used Taun wood for flooring? We are looking...
itspepsico
Kentwood Hardwood Flooring
Has anyone installed wood flooring from Kentwood? If...
MichelleDT
Has anyone purchased from value floors direct?
Has anyone purchased flooring from value floors direct? I...
willintotry
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™