Laminate Floor

kellykathNovember 20, 2012

Long story short . . . I have a very small 1100 sq. ft. 93 yr old beach rental. The tenants who lived there previously were there 21 years and I now have some work on the house to do. Pulled the carpet up and had hardwood floors too damaged to repair - am considering putting in a laminate wood floor that looks good, sounds good and feels good. Has anyone put one in recently that has a hand scraped hickory look that looks authentic and did not break the bank? Even tho it's a rental, it needs to look good as I plan to rent mostly in the summer months with repeat renters and enjoy the remaining time ourselves. It's important to have it looking sharp and I don't know much about laminates but keep hearing they are more tolerant with regard to moisture etc. I have real hardwood in my own home but for the rental, I have some other unexpected upgrades so I just can't do everything exactly the way I want. I would love to see pictures from people who love their laminates. Carpet is not an option - and I will most likely add some complimentary tile in the kitchen and bathroom/s. Please help. Thank you so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

"but keep hearing they are more tolerant with regard to moisture etc"

You have been misinformed. While the top layer of laminate may wear slightly better than wood in the presence of pets, the achilles heel of all laminate is moisture. Once it's damaged by moisture, it's ruined completely. Unlike wood. Most wood that gets wet will swell up, but given some time, will settle down and be fine. If not, it can be sanded and refinished.

The best choice for flooring in any beach situation remains porcelain tile. Look at the new ones that look like wood if you want a wood look. And be sure to reinforce the floor's stiffness before installing to keep it from cracking.

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 1:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hags00

I agree with Hollysprings with respect to moisture properties of laminate and that full tile would be good for a beach house.

But I look at laminate as inexpensive and easily replaceable. Although not handscraped, I recently put down 1200 sq ft of Quick Step Toasted Hickory Rustique. My main reason was I was going over a slab and my dogs beat up hardwood. So far it is holding up very well under them tearing around.

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 8:20AM
More Discussions
Reviews : Brazilian direct - http://www.brazilianhardwood.com/ -
Did any one purchase solid hardwood from Brazilian...
luxman
Any experience with BellaCera hardwood flooring and/or hickory wood?
We fell in love with a hickory hardwood in their line,...
happyallison
Do your Karndean floors look like this?
I'm going to be posting pictures shortly to let you...
floorfinder
Cerameta Luxury Flooring - Vinyl Plank
Has anyone used/installed a Cerameta floating floor?...
emlach
Hallmark Hardwoods Historic Walnut Alta vista collection
Has anyone installed Hallmark Hardwoods Historic Walnut...
lotsofkids
Sponsored Products
Anderson Loveseat - Cordova Eclipse Gray
Joybird Furniture
nuLOOM ZHSS01C-609 Sisal Herringbone Area Rug - Beige - ZHSS01C-609
$197.66 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LA Rugs Fun Time Shape Red Lady Bug 35
$39.97 | Home Depot
Floor Lamps: Floor Torchiere STR11274
Home Depot
Kimbrough Rug 5' x 8' - CAMEL/LT BLUE
$599.00 | Horchow