baseboard heat and radiant floor heat

hjihjiMarch 19, 2012

In another post I'm asking about a wood burning furnace. In this post I wanted to ask if it is possible to have baseboard heat in most rooms of a house, but radiant floor heat in some of the rooms instead (bathrooms in particular)?

If the answer to the above is "yes," the next question is- could the radiant floor be installed using he pipes that go into those rooms already? Can they be in the same loop (or zone) that they're already in, or do they need to be plumbed differently because of the smaller pipe (tube) diameters and much longer pipe runs?

We would do this for three reasons- first, the obvious comfort factor of warm floors in the bathroom when you go in there in the morning. The second reason has to do with space considerations in the bathrooms (more wall space for vanities with no heater in the way. The third reason has to do with the proximity of baseboards to the toilet and the yuck factor that can create due to liquids splashing on a hot surface.

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_home

I am not an expert on this, but I believe the radiant heat could be connected to the existing plumbing.

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 6:06PM
fsq4cw

Yes you can have baseboard radiators and in-floor radiant.

"Can they be in the same loop or zone?" That may not be the best way to plumb, as the radiators and in-floor will likely require different water temperatures (supply & return âÂÂT), flow rates and controls.

Always use proper design and best practices for assured comfort and reliability, not easiest, quickest, cheapest hookup. Don't forget automatic air elimination and dirt separation. Proper placement of every component is crucial!

Plan and document your mechanical room carefully with proper labeling, arrows indicating flow direction, supply & return and a DETAILED schematic that remains on-site and includes every component so that any technician coming on site can understand what they're looking at.

HIRE A SERIOUS PROFESSIONAL - you'll be glad you did!

IMO

SR

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 12:46PM
jamesbodell

You can mix, and you can use existing plumbing. You will need space near your zone for a mixing valve to mix high temp water with return water.

You can also put the mixing valve on the boiler side and put only low temp water through the existing pipes.

I have such a dual heat system (actually i have 3!). I have a Buderus boiler with a low temp mixing module. My house is all baseboard except bathrooms and mudroom are radiant floor. The floors use uponor panels. Upstairs I have AC and hydro air units (thus the 3rd heating type)

One thing I really like about the Buderus is both heat types are constant circulation. The heat does not fluctuate much.

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 9:29AM
More Discussions
Honeywell th6320R Thermostat
My Honeywell TH6320R thermostat (communicating with...
zver11
Moving house AC unit
Hopefully this all makes sense. In our potential kitchen/house...
Jennifer Weinman
company insists on all payment in advance
Having 2 mini-splits installed, have already paid half...
gramarows
How to heat this room?
Hi folks! First post in this forum. I live in ec Iowa....
sparky_10
New HVAC install in So Cal
Hi Everyone, I just got a quote from Home Depot contractor....
revlimit
Sponsored Products
iRobot Braava 380T Mopping Robot
$299.00 | FRONTGATE
Laminate Molding & Trim: Zamma Flooring Mineral Wood 5/8 in. Thick x 3/4 in.
$9.98 | Home Depot
Wood Molding & Trim: Zamma Flooring Carob Maple 3/4 in. Thick x 3/4 in. Wide x
$15.98 | Home Depot
Vinyl Molding & Trim: Zamma Flooring Sawcut Dakota 5/8 in. Thick x 3/4 in. Wide
$9.98 | Home Depot
Newair Appliances Low Profile Baseboard Heater
Overstock.com
Wood Molding & Trim: Zamma Building Materials Brazilian Teak Avalon 3/4 in.
$20.49 | Home Depot
Vinyl Molding & Trim: Zamma Flooring American Walnut 5/8 in. Thick x 3/4 in.
$9.98 | Home Depot
Vinyl Molding & Trim: Zamma Flooring Yukon Brown/Red Rock 5/8 in. Thick x 3/4
$9.98 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™