furnace installation problem?

crosstalkFebruary 25, 2012

We just had our newãÂÂAC+furnace installed last week and it works fine. However, our plumber checked our attic today, and he pointed that the vent pipe on furnace, which sends carbon monoxide outside the house, had about 8 screws on it for connection. He said this is not a good thing, since it could lead to potential leakage of carbon monoxide. He also showed us the vent pipe on our older furnace(we have 2), and there was no screw on it!

Is my plumber correct? Did the installers do a lousy job?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bpchiil

Did you pull a permit for the install of the HVAC system? If so, did it pass inspection?

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 9:29AM
PRO
CJ Mechanical of North jersey llc.

steel pipe in attic must be double wall type and no screws are needed and not allowed because of the way they lock together.I on occastion if was nervous about the locking of the two pipes then maybe one small screw. If a long screw goes through the inner linner then water can start coming in. you allso create noises because of the inner pipe heating up and outter pipe could can make ticking sounds of pipe exspanding

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 11:59AM
crosstalk

This is a very large local AC company, so their license/permit should not be a problem.
Coolmen,
you mentioned that water can start coming in if a long screw goes through the inner linner. I was confused since the pipe sends carbon monoxide to the outside of the house. Why water will get into this pipe?

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 5:34PM
bpchiil

Crosstalk,

I regret if I did not make my question clear to you.

The question I asked has absolutely nothing to do with the HVAC company that you contracted, and their license to operate as a company. My question was did YOU pull a permit from your village, city, or other municipal entity to have them to...

1 Be aware of the fact that you are replacing an HVAC system

2. To have inspectors inspect the final job, and note any issues with the install. If in fact the inspectors find ANY thing incorrect, the contractor needs to fix the problem.

If there is a problem, which you may have, the contractor needs to fix it before you provide the final payment to the contractor.

Remember, when you are replacing a furnace you are dealing with two vital energy sources, namely gas, the other electricity.

Well worth the cost to you, for piece of mind that the install is done correctly.

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 6:36PM
crosstalk

bpChiI1,
The contractor did say someone will come to do a final inspection in a week or two. I guess that's probably what you mentioned in your post.
Are you saying if the inspector is OK with that, it won't be a problem?
Thanks for the info. It's my first time to get a new HVAC installed so I'm not familiar with the process.

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 10:32PM
weedmeister

The exhaust gases of the furnace contain water vapor as a result of combustion. Some of this can condense on the inner walls of the flue.

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 3:11PM
heatseeker

The flue is okay

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 8:45AM
More Discussions
Geothermal (GSHP) replacement
My almost 80-year-old mother's house was built in 1998...
DavidR
Disconnect for Fujitsu mini split indoor unit (slim duct type)
We are installing a Fujitsu mini split system that...
ylmzm
company insists on all payment in advance
Having 2 mini-splits installed, have already paid half...
gramarows
Need help with selecting Eff Heat Pump replacement.
20 yr old American Std Heat Pump stopped working. ...
2015hvac
Are mini-splits a bad idea.
I have lived in both Europe and the Middle East and...
bry911
Sponsored Products
Glass Light - Top - Tom Dixon
$425.00 | HORNE
Bolero 120 Down MP Pendant by Bruck Lighting Systems
$327.20 | Lumens
Water Drop Jug
Design Within Reach
Freejack Bolero Down Pendant
Lightology
Tom Dixon | Glass Light - Bead Pendant
YLiving.com