Confused: what is 'field tile' porcelain tile?

pinktoesNovember 1, 2007

I can't get a clear explanation of this. I'm looking for porcelain tile--mostly for floors, some different ones for walls. I search for colorthrough porcelain tile. And then within those I see "Field Tile". Seems like most of it says that. What does this mean?

I'm looking for very smooth floor tiles for the entire house. No ridges or texturing to make it look like natural stone. The smoother surface is easier to clean.

Can anyone help me here?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gigabit

Field tile is a commonly used to describe floor tiles that are used in the main "field" area of the room. "Border tile" is used to describe tiles used for a "border" around the field tiles. "Accent Tiles" describe tiles that are used to "accent" a floor and are usually intermixed within the field tiles.

Porcelain tiles come in both glazed and unglazed tiles. For a smoother finish you might consider a glazed porcelain tile. Click on the link below to learn more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ceramic Tile vs Porcelain Tile

Bookmark   November 1, 2007 at 9:50PM
pinktoes

gigabit: thanks. I was WAY off on what I thought it meant. I read your link. I was thinking I wanted colorthrough porcelain, unglazed, for the same color all the way through, so when you drop a cast iron frying pan on it, the chip is the same color. (Which I have done!)

But I've had my glazed ceramic tile floors throughout this house for 10 years now, and only that one chip in the kitchen. So, this is not a major problem. For the new house, maybe I should consider the same tiles again. My only concern is these floors are a bit slippery for us, and we're getting older. I'll have to see if there are any glazed ceramic that have a higher COF (I think that's what you call it.)

Bookmark   November 1, 2007 at 10:38PM
oruboris

FWIW, most solid body porcleain is less slippery than glazed tile, either porcelain or ceramic.

It's also VERY nice if you are doing any sort of pattern that's going to require significant cuts. They don't show at all with a good solid body.

Bookmark   November 2, 2007 at 2:21AM
pinktoes

oruboris: Good to know about the cuts. I'm trying to walk a narrow line between too-slippery and too-hard to clean. Glazed ceramic cleans like a dream!

Bookmark   November 2, 2007 at 8:46AM
bob_cville

I installed an unglazed, through-body color porcelain tile as part of my kitchen remodel. Its surface is perfectly flat, but slightly rough. Even when its wet I don't find it slippery at all, and I've had no trouble keeping it clean, especially since I used a "stain proof" epoxy grout. Although with the tile's natural stone look, it is somtimes difficult to seewhen there is dirt on it.

Bookmark   November 2, 2007 at 2:32PM
pinktoes

bob cville: I'm considering a similar one to yours, darker color, but I was worried about that rough finish. Almost feels like fine sand or sandpaper. Even though there is no unevenness on the tiles. I was afraid things would stick on it. I'll go look at it again.

Bookmark   November 2, 2007 at 3:06PM
oruboris

Yeah, I find my unglazed porcelain just as easy to clean as my glazed ceramics. Since nothing can stain it, everything washes right off-- except for the gum my bull terrier tried to eat. She left tiny bits of it all over the kitchen, and it blended right in-- till it was stuck down and dirty. Came right up with a scaper, though.

And it does hide dirt really well.

Silly me: I put a glazed ceramic in my coat room and laundry room. Also easy to maintain, but far more slick when you come in with wet feet.

Bookmark   November 3, 2007 at 2:53AM
More Discussions
Ceramic wood tile into sunken living room?
Getting ready to remodel a house I am purchasing. Would...
m323
Flooring For 3 Season Room
A friend has a 3 season room that has carpet over a...
mike_kaiser_gw
Brazilian Cherry with infloor heat, rug or no rug
We just got our in floor heat installed in the sunroom. Hoping...
sewwhatsnew
Has anyone used Wicanders Vinyl Comfort flooring?
I'm really struggling to find the right floor for my...
lovelierthoughts
TEC power grout safe for marble
My installer uses TEC power grout. I have polished...
MrsD
Sponsored Products
Lifestyle Thayer Chocolate Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$379.00 | Bellacor
Fabbian | Tile D95 E02 Ceiling Light
YLighting
Set Of 25 Bottle Stoppers With Gold Rim
Classic Hostess
Triple Suction Pad Hook in Chrome, Gold
TheBathOutlet
Brass Elegans Contemporary 4x10 Brass Chrome Floor Register
Overstock.com