Minwax stain for kitchen hardwood

slance66November 6, 2011

Our kitchen is being completely remodled. It has been gutted to the studs. Our plan is to use 3.5 in oak (not sure if it will be red or white). Cabinets are maple pained BM Acadia White.

Looking at pictures on the forum, Minwax English Chestnut looked perfect. A nice reddish medium brown in the photos. Tried it on a strip of oak and...just brown. No red tones at all. It looks unlike every picture I've seen of it. Am I missing something? Tried Red Oak...also straight brown. Gunstock was completely red. None look as they should.

I'm at a loss. Existing hardwood in the hall, living and dining rooms is a yellowish butterscotch we hate. We also do not want anything that looks like a dark brown - walnut color. Red Mahogany might be too dark, but seems like the right color. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazydaisynot

We just had our floors refinished (to get rid of the old, very worn, butterscotch look) so I understand your challenge. i wanted a warm medium-brown that wasn't orange-y. The look I was aiming for is the larger photo when you scroll down in the link below, which reads "This is more what our floors look like today" or something similar.

Studying the photo I decided I wanted to highlight the grain but to also allow the individual colors of the boards to show through. I liked the life in this floor. It took me a while to realize that I was looking for a less opaque stain (hence the natural). I have NO idea what stains were used on the floor in the photo (and cannot give credit since I don't know the origin of the photo), but I feel we achieved something really close using a mix of 1 provincial: 1 jacobean : 2 natural. This was on red oak, using a different brand of stain (Bona), with solvent-based Swedish finish over it. I think using 2 parts natural allow the red tint of the red oak to show on some boards, which makes it warm. I am crazy about our new floors.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: similar look to our floors

Bookmark   November 6, 2011 at 9:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
slance66

Thanks. Last night, frustrated with my sample, I thought, "why not put actual Mahogany down"? Looked at pictures of Santos Mahogany and it looks gorgeous. We already planned to keep the entry and other rooms lighter, so why match the wood? Anyone try Mahogany in the kitchen?

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 6:52AM
More Discussions
Smartstrand carpet dilema
I am replacing the carpet in my family room and after...
sharon_va
Bamboo Floor Disaster
Hi, I got new bamboo floors when I renovated my NYC...
katefriedmann
Install carpet over laminate flooring?
I am buying a house that has laminate wood flooring...
rlb4
Wood to tile
What types of transition pieces can be used on a slab?...
ourgeorgiahouse
Please help - can't find a review anywhere
I haven't been able to find any consumer feedback on...
ciana
Sponsored Products
Palazzo Black and Grey Rectangular: 3 Ft. x 5 Ft. Rug
$45.95 | Bellacor
JAR Design 'Alphonse Tufted' Barley Queen-size Bed
Overstock.com
Charisma Ivory Cream Premium Hygro Cotton 12-piece Towel Set
Overstock.com
Home Decorators Collection Cushions Bali Blue Sunbrella Outdoor Chair Cushion
$29.00 | Home Depot
Artistic Tiffany Table Light with Floral Stained Glass Shade in Arc Arm Style
ParrotUncle
Aviano Outdoor Chaise Lounge, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Natco Rugs Kurdamir Elegante Black 5 ft.
Home Depot
Arteriors Home - Kazu Dining Table - 2606
Great Furniture Deal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™