Source for tomato powder?

kitchendetectiveMarch 22, 2014

Would you mind sharing where you purchase or order tomato powder? I am almost finished with the little I have and do not recall where I purchased it. The market that I thought would carry it does not. Do you have a favorite brand and/or source?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jude31

Penzey's???

jude

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 6:22PM
fishymom

Amazon has it also.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 6:58PM
annie1992

Hello, Jude, I'm glad to see you again! How is the hubs doing?

I bought some at The Spice House, I don't think Penzey's has it. I will caution you, though, it has to be stored correctly (in the refrigerator, I think), or it will turn into a big chunk of tomato cement. I threw mine away, it couldn't even be chipped out of the jar. I tried covering it with water to make paste, but that didn't work either.

So, don't buy more than you can successfully keep!

Annie

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 6:58PM
kitchendetective

Gosh, mine didn't clump at all. It's in a plastic jar. However, I didn't get that much because I wasn't sure that I'd use it, but I have used it a lot. Maybe it has an anti-caking agent, but it wasn't supposed to have anything but tomato in it. I think you can freeze it, but mine is just in the pantry. Nearest Penzey's does not have it, nor online, as far as I can tell.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 7:11PM
annie1992

Nope, as I said, my Penzey's doesn't carry it, but their "sister" business, The Spice House, did. Mine wasn't a very big bottle but I just didn't use it very much. (shrug) It sat for maybe two months in the cupboard in the glass jar, and turned into a rock. I'd never used it before, and I didn't find it useful enough to buy any more, so although I'm sure you can probably get it from lots of places, I'm no help with any other brands or sources.

I know someone else here was also complaining that theirs turned hard and they couldn't use it....

Annie

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 7:15PM
publickman

I got mine at Harmony House, and I also recommend buying small quantities, due to the clumping factor. They have a lot of other dried vegetables, and I did like their mushrooms, although I normally buy those at a Japanese market. I bought the mixed vegetables and used those for soup.

Lars

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 7:23PM
grainlady_ks

For a variety of smaller amounts - The Spice House.

1/2 cup shaker jar, net wt. 3.5 oz. - $4.99
1 cup shaker jar, net wt. 7 oz. - $8.99
2 cup spoon-out jar, net wt. 14 oz. - $15.99

Home Food Storage:
Emergency Essentials has two sizes:
-MyChoice⢠Tomato Powder - 17 oz.- $8.50 ($.37 per ounce)
-Provident Pantryî Tomato Powder - 64 oz. - $22.95 ($.36 per ounce)

Honeyville Grain also carries it in #10 cans, but is out-of-stock just now. The nice thing about ordering from Honeyville Grain is shipping is $4.49 for your entire order.

Augason Farms - #10 can - $29.89 - 3-pounds 10-ounces

Tomato powder clumps due to exposure to moisture.

When purchasing in a 64-oz. (#10 can size) can, place the tomato powder in smaller containers (pint or 1/2-pint jars), and if you have a FoodSaver, vacuum-seal them using the jar sealer attachment. Store the jar you are using from in your refrigerator, which happens to be a dry environment due to the frost-free feature. Otherwise, tomato powder is shelf-stable at room temperature (70-degrees F.) or colder.

When using it, try to avoid letting the container sit open any longer than necessary. If you do have some clumping, you can break it apart with the back of a spoon, or by grating the clumps on a box grater or microplane. Clumping means the contents of the jar were exposed to moisture (from high humidity in the room). You can also add a moisture absorbing "pillow" to the top of the container and that will help prevent clumping. Or make a sachet of rice to place in the top of the container to absorb moisture.

-Grainlady

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 5:33AM
kitchendetective

Thank you for all your help. I recall the brand now: Mother Earth Products. I am not finding it, so far, online, though.

Okay, I found it by using a different search engine.

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 10:46

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 10:43AM
jude31

Annie, thanks for asking about Bob. A blood clot was found in his right leg and he had a tremendous amount of fluid, as well. He went to the hospital for treatment. As it turned out he is in rehab now, hopefully coming home soon. We have a meeting with members of the staff tomorrow so we should find out then.

jude

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 8:43PM
teresa_nc7

iHerb has a pound bag of Frontier tomato powder for less than $20; buy a few more items and get free shipping.

Teresa

Here is a link that might be useful: Frontier powdered tomato at iHerb

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 8:33AM
kalapointer

I buy my favorite tomato powder from the Savory Spice Shop. They originally started in Denver, but now there are many shops across the country or you can order online. I have attached a link to their web site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Savory Spice Shop

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 12:10PM
kitchendetective

And there is one a mile from where I am sitting at this moment! I had no idea!

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 12:44PM
kalapointer

KitchenD - I hope you have time to visit their shop. It is fun to see all the spices and other things they carry. Savory Spice mixes their own blends. Are you in Colorado?

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 3:12PM
kitchendetective

Central Texas. I had a great time talking to the manager and picked up some tomato powder. Thank you for the tip.

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 4:41PM
mustangs81

Thanks for the heads up on storage of the powder. I purchased a good amount when Peppi took me to the Spice House in Chicago. I will be buying more online so I will tryout some of the sources recommended.

*Jude, I'm sorry to hear about Bob. I hope he can come home soon. My HG is in the 3rd week (6 weeks total) of hyperbaric chamber therapy; he is not a happy camper. I keep telling him "Michael Jackson slept in one voluntarily."

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 5:01PM
beverlyLynch

Harmony House is one good option

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 8:25AM
beverlyLynch

Harmony House is one good option

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 8:26AM
sleevendog

I would be more concerned about where it is sourced and how it is processed.
Where is it from. How is it dehydrated. Or spray dried. That would be processed tomato paste and then air dried at 1000 temp. No spice house has a cute garden out back.
They get big sacks of tomato flour. From a processor in China? Then just put it in containers with cute labels. How else could they afford storefronts with employees.
(5 cent spice in a 20 cent jar with a designer label.)
It is a processed product. And we all know once dehydrated, condensed, is sugar.

I would rather see a full tomato dehydrated, then choose to grind it. I want a spice to be at least in its own shape without the unknown. Who knows the additives. We don't know nor do we have the tax dollars to sit someone at every entry port to test what comes in...

I'm not sure what the use is. I've not really liked tomato paste and have not used it in years. Powered spices in any form is a mystery, and a moneymaker for those that sell it.
I like my spices whole and a 20$ grinder.

Don't mean to be a 'sad-sack-sally' but a container of Canada or US hot house cherry toms cut in half and slow roasted using oven heat from another dish...and a handfull of grapes cut in half...lots of flavor and you know what it is. fridge or freeze.

Use whole foods and wash and processes yourself.

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 6:37PM
More Discussions
My new pantry with pictures
OK, it's nearly done. We still need to replace some...
annie1992
Need Recipe Help
Need Recipe Help Our church hosts a Lenten Luncheon...
blueheron
Kitchen Gadget Over-the-Top?
Drinking Straw Cleaner? I don't think so but checking...
mustangs81
Need T&T recipe for Parmesan Broth
Anyone have a tried and true recipe for Parmesan broth?...
bbstx
Waterlogue app
Photo of vegetables for tonight's dinner run through...
bbstx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™