Moving a vent

happyhealthymamacFebruary 24, 2013

We are in the late phase of building our house. As we started to plan our furniture configuration, we are realizing the ac vent in the great room is not in the best spot for our furniture layout. There is a wall of 3 large windows and the vent is currently centered (on the floor) of these windows. We'd simply like to move the vent about 5 feet to the right so it wouldn't be directly under the windows. By doing this, would I be sacrificing the energy efficiency in the great room? Would doing this make it noticeably hotter in summer or colder in winter? Anything else I need to consider before deciding if this is the best thing to do? Thx--

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_home

How large is the great room? How many vents are in the room and what are their locations?

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 7:32AM
happyhealthymamac

Open floor plan. The great room is 17' x 18'. There is one vent in the great room but it is rather large. Larger than any of the other vents in the house

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 12:59PM
mike_home

Moving the vent over by 5 feet is not going to make much of an impact in terms of efficiency or comfort. I would be more concerned that there is only one vent in a room of this size. The three large windows will increase the heating and cooling load of the room. Ask the builder about putting in a second vent.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 1:16PM
energy_rater_la

talk to hvac installer.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 1:30PM
More Discussions
Baseboard heater thermostats
We are looking to install (2) 120v baseboard heaters...
stephja007
Neighbor Finally Upgrades to Heat Pump
My next door neighbor finally took my advice and upgraded...
newtalk2
Enery efficiency of exposed ductwork?
What are your thoughts on the energy efficiency of...
ccintx
Need help choosing an efficient HRV Air Exchanger
Hi, My house as a total area of 2300 square feet (1150*x)....
Jim_Lafleur
Pls tell me the best uses for Carrier Air Handler Model # FV4CNF003
Hi GW, I am stuck with a new 2012 air handler/heat...
ontariomom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™