Motel Room HVAC Incremental Unit Heat Pumps

hsurFebruary 16, 2008

I am looking for information on purchase cost and energy efficiency information on the Heat pump units that hotels use to heat and cool individual rooms? We need to add supplemental heat to a 1000 square foot finished walk out section in our basement. The basement will stay around 60 degrees F during the cold months (southern Michigan) when we open up the 4 furnance registers from our gas forced air furnance. The area is used about 50 percent of the time during the winter and would like to not have to run additional cold air returns/heat ducts plus am not not sure the furnance for our 2000 square foot ranch is sized for the the additional area. I would like to not run the baseboard resistance heater system due to the more expensive operating costs. any thoughts or advice on ways to add supplemental heat to a finished basement section.

Thanks

Harold

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ryanhughes

Have you thought of a mini-split? You can learn more at http://www.mrslim.com/, but other companies like Fujitsu also make them. I think I heard they can be pretty effective/efficient so they're definitely worth checking out.

Bookmark   February 16, 2008 at 11:03PM
ky114

The GE Zoneline units are one of the most common brands found in motel rooms, and they are also often used in smaller apartments. They have models that use heat pumps for heating. You will want to look at the 5800 series, because these are the ones with a defrost cycle, and they can run resistance heat to maintain the room temperature during the defrost. Some of of the other heat pump models are really intended only for warmer climates, and they only run as heat pumps down to 40 degrees F or so, and below that they'll just switch over to resistance heat.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Zoneline dealer

Bookmark   February 17, 2008 at 12:24AM
baldloonie

One other nice feature of the 5800 is use of backup heat. Every other PTHP I know of turns off the compressor if it isn't keeping up. The 5800 leaves it on since it is still very efficient and just adds backup.

Also GE maintains their own service fleet so if there is a problem you won't have to search for someone who will work on the unit.

Bookmark   February 17, 2008 at 8:38AM
hsur

Thanks for the options. The mini-splits and the GE 5800 look like they will do the job. Need to start to do some heat loss calculations to make sure we are picking the correct size unit. Then start to look at the pricing of the units and electrical service needs.

Harold

Bookmark   February 17, 2008 at 8:22PM
ryanhughes

HVAC Calc is a good heat loss calculation program if you are looking for one. The homeowner version is $49.

Bookmark   February 17, 2008 at 10:22PM
More Discussions
HVAC question
I live near Charlotte NC and have a new Bryant Hybrid...
gtodd1966
Navian condensing combi, good or bad?
Hi, I am looking into converting from oil to gas and...
rickyk22
Are mini-splits a bad idea.
I have lived in both Europe and the Middle East and...
bry911
Nozzle size for Oil Burner ??
I have a Slant fin oil furnace that heats my water...
big_al_41
Insulating floor on my raised home in Louisiana.
We recently installed solar panels on our home. We...
ktyler1320
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™