Thank you mabeldingeldine!

donna_loomisMarch 13, 2013

This past weekend I candied some jalapenos. Wasn't sure if they needed to set a few days before being "ready", but I couldn't wait. Had some the next day and thought they were fabulous! Thanks again.

And I won't have to share them with anybody, because the rest of my family are wimpy when it comes to spice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mabeldingeldine_gw

Oooh! I am glad you tried them and liked them! I've been eating them lately on bagels and cream cheese for breakfast -- way to start the day!

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 7:36PM
mustangs81

No cream cheese or bagels, I've been eating them right out of the jar. My last batch was super hot, I imagine it's hard on my innards eating 1 gallon of peppers. Like Donna, I haven't had any takers.

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 7:48PM
mabeldingeldine_gw

Mustangs, I tip my hat to you! My candied jalapenos are super hot, too -- my Master Gardening course instructor gave me 3 huge bags of jalapenos, and I don't know what she does but those babies are inferno-like. They were so hot I only froze a few for cooking and made the rest into cowboy candy. I like spicy but I need a little something else to cool the burn, even though they are tasty!

It is strange because we each grow the same variety of jalapeno, but it really demonstrates how soil and garden conditions can impact the flavor. My jalapenos are flavorful and somewhat spicy, but hers sure set your tongue aflame.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 7:25AM
mustangs81

Different jalapenos must be it! The first batch was just right hot. The second was a scorcher and only I can eat them and like you, I need something to cool the burn.

I thought it was because I didn't take many seeds out but then I didn't remember doing that for the first batch.

They are delicious if I can get the right heat.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 9:55AM
donna_loomis

Hm... mine were pretty hot, too. I did leave in the seeds, but I just assumed it was the process that made them so hot. I didn't grow them, I purchased them at market. It will be interesting to see how my home grown jalapenos (months from now) will taste.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 1:55PM
skeip

OK, so now you have me intrigued. Candied Jalapenos and Cowboy Candy? Come on ladies, let's have some recipes please!!

Steve

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 3:58PM
mabeldingeldine_gw

Steve, you can find the recipe I use on my recipe blog. I found it on another blog called Foodie with Family.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cowboy Candy aka Candied Jalapenos

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 8:39PM
More Discussions
The Monkey Princess makes pasta and pies
The Princess has Italian grandparents on Dave's side,...
annie1992
What happened to my soup?
Made a homemade chicken soup....carrots, onion, celery,...
lookintomyeyes83
Need side dish idea and thoughts on dessert
I have been asked to bring a side dish for Easter -...
susan_in_nc
So what is "a bunch"?
It drives me crazy when recipes call for a bunch of...
laceyvail
Leftover Biscuits
I made a Mother's Day lunch that was wonderful (if...
starlightfarm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™