Engineered flooring in very low humidity?

dwpcNovember 20, 2012

We're replacing the wall-to-wall carpet in our N AZ home with engineered hardwood. We're concerned about the performance of engineered hardwood flooring in our extremely dry climate where indoor humidity is under 20% most of the time. Several mfrs state a 30% minimum humidity in their warranty. What are the risks? Warping and cracking? Is our concern valid?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

Someone who works with wood flooring in your region is the best to consult with on this. However, my best 'guess' is that the engineered flooring, especially factory finished with a peeled veneer, would show some splitting and checking of the veneer surface, and the core layers might also be subject to delamination because of excessive drying.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 10:09PM
dwpc

When we went back to look at more samples Wednesday, I asked about inside humidity and after some hmmming and hawing, the saleman said that, yes, we should install a humidifier to prevent cracking. I'd bet most buyers are not told...until they have a problem with their floor and seek warranty coverage.

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 10:28AM
twomartins

Did they say anything about engineered flooring over radiant hydronic heat? Would this help without otherwise humidifying?

I am considering using engineered hardwood over radiant hydronic heat in a low humidity area (Lake Tahoe). It ISN'T very low humidity. Inside has ranged from 20-50 with no humidification over the last 4 months. It is usually around 20-30 in the summer when the windows would be open anyway, so would a humidifier really work then anyway? However, the house I am looking at is over an open crawl space which I read dries the house out somewhat, so the humidity could be lower there. Thoughts?

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 11:05AM
More Discussions
Solid or engineered wood treads on stairs
I'm in the middle of a major home renovation, which...
swguru
Anyone used Coretec?
I have searched and searched, but I haven't seen any...
joygreenwald
LVP Underlayment
Hello all. Like everyone here I am in the middle of...
ryancoc22
bamboo floor fumes--anyone else have this problem??
Hi, has anyone installed a bamboo floor and had trouble...
nikwaters
wood floor finish (am I being too picky)
We recently had our wood floors refinished with the...
Jennifer White Green
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™