baseboard & sliding door, central air

krycek1984February 27, 2013

Hey all, I have a question...

We are having a sliding door placed in our family room...currently, there is just a window and a very long run of baseboard heat (Hydronic I believe, there is a boiler downstairs and water goes through all the pipes).

In my Aunt's apartment, they put the sliding door directly above the baseboard heating unit, so that basically you step up to the sliding door. That is the only thing I can think of - I can't imagine taking out the current baseboard heat would do anything to help with our heating situation!!!

Also, we would like to install central AC. The house already has ductwork, but here is the deal: the vents in several of the rooms are hidden by the radiators, so the vents will need to be moved to the floor to work. In any event, there is no furnace and blower. There is a "Plenum" whatever that is. I'm guessing we will just need a blower?

It's all so confusiong. The contractor can't really give a good estimated price for this because the HVAC people have to come out and deal with it, etc.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_home

What is the issue with your family room? How big is the room and long is the current baseboard radiator?

How did the vents wind up behind the baseboard radiators? Were they added later on?

General contractors are not knowledgeable when it comes to HVAC systems. You better off speaking directly to a qualified HVAC contractor.

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 9:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ionized_gw

How old is the house? What kind of climate are you in? What are you using for AC now and what is wrong with that approach?

It seems likely that the house had forced-air heat at some time (maybe coal-fired) and it was replaced with hydronic. What fires your boiler, natural gas, propane, fuel oil?

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 8:23PM
More Discussions
HVAC question
I live near Charlotte NC and have a new Bryant Hybrid...
gtodd1966
2 Stage vs 1 Stage
I am trying to decide what HVAC replacement system...
cms9323
Enery efficiency of exposed ductwork?
What are your thoughts on the energy efficiency of...
ccintx
furnace condensation freezing up
A non-profit club that I belong to has a furnace that...
doglover3
Navian condensing combi, good or bad?
Hi, I am looking into converting from oil to gas and...
rickyk22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™