Similar to Brazilian Teak?

monkeystomachNovember 29, 2010

Hi Everyone,

I need new hardwood floors. I really like Brazilian Teak, but I am curious to know if there is another (non-exotic) species that is similar? It does not have to look exactly like Brazilian Teak, but I would like some color variation and the medium to dark browns and golden colors. (I also like Lyptus, but cannot find enough information about it)

Any suggestions are welcome...

Thanks,

Ed

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
clg7067

I fell in love with Brazillian Teak (Cumaru), but the more research I did the more I thought it would be too unstable for my home's humidity fluctuations.

I looked at a lot of different products. There are many wonderful flooring companies out there, but I just wasn't finding something I liked. I didn't see anything that was similar enough to Cumaru.

I ended up going with an inexpensive engineered exotic product from BR-111 that I won't mind my dogs destroying. I plan to post photos this weekend when I'm finished installing it. Just have a couple feet left, but my back is killing me. LOL!

Bookmark   December 1, 2010 at 11:07AM
clg7067

A wood type that I find very attactive (I just didn't want to deal with the onsite finishing process) is a rift and/or quarter cut white oak with a nice penetrating oil finish. That would be my dream floor.

It's such a personal decision.

Bookmark   December 1, 2010 at 11:09AM
woodfloorpro

You might consider hickory heartwood or mesquite as hard domestic alternatives with similar coloring. I personally don't know of either being available in prefinished.

Bookmark   December 4, 2010 at 1:38PM
boylanite2

Our first love was Brazilian Cherry. We have ended up doing "character grade" American Cherry. You know, the stuff that floor people throw out or disgrace with a second grade class. It has beautiful natural knots and gorgeous color variation. All the things installers avoid. We were also lucky enough to find an installer with similar appreciation for this natural beauty. He did so much as to set aside the "wild" stuff and placed it prominently in view where it could be appreciated. A personal opinion and it's not exactly "teak" but we love it.

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 10:12AM
More Discussions
Need help open area flooring (great room, kitchen).
Hello, please help. I am looking for flooring that...
einajr
LVP plank and tile flooring pulling apart at seams.
We installed a LVP this spring into our new addition....
moledro
Chinese Hardwood Flooring - After Lumber Liquidators & 60 Minutes
Wondering how folks are now feeling about buying imported...
Ken Fisher
Travertine Flooring
Trying to find out more info on Travertine flooring....
dqubti
Advise with flooring?
Hi, I need some advise with flooring. I have a spare...
galinas
Sponsored Products
Matthews Fan Company | Vent-Bettina Ceiling Fan
YLighting
56" Casa Brisbane Black Rust with Teak Blades Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Modernoutdoor | Etra Large Arm Chair
YLiving.com
Acapulco Chair - Copper Base - Innit Designs
$470.00 | HORNE
48" Montara Teak Vanity for Semi-Recessed Sink
Signature Hardware
MTI MTSB-38NA Shower Base (37.5" x 37.5")
Modern Bathroom
All Things Cedar Oakdale Western Red Cedar Potting Bench - PT35U
$339.98 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LR Resources Rugs Heritage Rust/Green 9
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™