Laminate Flooring on concrete slab?

mowerman1193November 13, 2012

My house was built in 1964. I am wanting to update all my flooring and like the idea of wood laminate flooring, but not sure if that is best for a concrete slab floor..I do have one corner in a bedroom that gets damp ( mostly only if the gutter gets clogged ).

Also would like to put down some sort of insulation if that is possible? I have had a lot of people claim that I need to use the Dry-cor sub-floor..But then I have heard that the dry-cor can create a mold issue it moisture gets in as it cannot get air to get dried out??

This house started out as a basement that never got finished and now has a normal pitch roof on it..The walls are cinder block up to about guessing 3-4 foot from the slab floor.

Anyway what would be the best options for new flooring that is not freezing on your feet when I get out of bed in the morning..

At this point we mostly have linoleum other than 3 rooms that are carpet..Due to allergies I would like to do away with carpets and just have the laminate flooring.

Sorry for all the rambling, LOL

Kevin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roof35

I didn't run laminate throughout, but at the point you're talking about, I laid 1x6 oak. You could do the same thing, and cut it on a table saw to fit over your laminate.

Can't figure out how to upload more than one picture @ a time, so I will post another picture of what I did with 1x4 oak for the transition strips I put for the dining room, kitchen, & at the patio door.

You have to put more effort in it than just cutting a transition strip to size, but the results are well worth it.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 6:12PM
roof35

A picture of the oak transition.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 6:14PM
roof35

Oh boy, sorry, replied to wrong thread!

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 6:18PM
hags00

I just laid 1200 sq ft of laminate over my concrete slab. I used a good underlayment with an overlapping moisture barrier to keep any moisture from reaching the laminate.

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 11:44AM
More Discussions
peg and groove hardwood floors
I have a 1931 home with a hardwood floor in the main...
zagyzebra
Jasper wood flooring
Has anyone in here used BuildDirect.com to buy flooring?...
S MacDougall
Need help open area flooring (great room, kitchen).
Hello, please help. I am looking for flooring that...
einajr
cleaning hardwood floors & tile floors
What's best way to clean hardwood floors.... how can...
kat123
TEC power grout safe for marble
My installer uses TEC power grout. I have polished...
MrsD
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Hand-hooked Transitional Brown Wool Rug (8'9 x 11'9)
Overstock.com
Double-barrelled Living Room Floor Lamp
ParrotUncle
Gray & Blue 'Play' Rug
$39.99 | zulily
W Lounge Chair in Purple
$798.00 | LexMod
Mikko Flatweave Rug 5' x 8' - LIGHT BLUE
$389.00 | Horchow
Zonix Ceiling Fan with Light by Fanimation Fans
$388.00 | Lumens
Rotaliana | Flow F Floor Lamp