help for sun damaged wood floors

maisoui1November 26, 2010

We recently bought a home which has tons of huge windows which let in loads of light. Unfortunately, the previous owners had areas rugs. There is a dark outline of each area rug on the floors. (In other words, the sun-exposed areas are lighter than where the rugs were.) I have rugs but they are different size and shape so the color difference does show in some areas. The floors are oak and more of a natural finish. It has more of a yellowish hue to it. I am generally partial to darker wood but given how much we lost on our last house I want to do as little in the way of permanent changes as possible. I just used the orange glo refinisher on one section of the floor and it looks good - but of course didn't help the color issue. Is there a tint or gel or polish that I could mix with the refinisher to polish the floor to sort of darken the color? If the color could be improved by a few shades, I would be happy. I am trying to avoid refinishing the entire house.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
booboo60

I'm sure other people will chime in but to my knowledge the only way to get rid of all those lines would be to sand and refinish the floor.

Bookmark   November 28, 2010 at 8:56PM
lazy_gardens

The color differences will even out in a few months.

Bookmark   November 29, 2010 at 10:38AM
northcarolina

I agree -- it should even out in time. Our master bath has an oak floor and skylights. We had a rug in front of the sink for years, and when we eventually got rid of the rug the floor was a different color underneath. You can't see it at all now. I can't remember how long it took though, sorry. If you can live with it for a while, it ought to be fine.

Bookmark   December 7, 2010 at 3:25PM
mjsee

Yup. It will even out with time.

Bookmark   December 7, 2010 at 6:16PM
More Discussions
Floor sanding/screening question
I just purchased my first home and decided to get the...
berlinswing
bamboo floor fumes--anyone else have this problem??
Hi, has anyone installed a bamboo floor and had trouble...
nikwaters
Has anyone used Smartcore Floors from Lowes
Hi, we're looking for something that we can put over...
amoore1205
We might replace our wood floor with new....
I have 20yr old hardwood floor in our foyer. It is...
cindywhitall
Bamboo flooring from LL bad odor
I purchased morning star bamboo strand click flooring...
rg100
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™