Filler for gaps in HW floor.

gardeningmomof5November 9, 2012

We have hardwood floors on the second floors that are in decent shape. They are about 3 inches wide, nearly all with gaps in between. I have read that it's best to leave the gaps there since they expand and contract with the seasons. However, with a family full of children and pets, that it not an option. Pet hair, crumbs, etc get in the cracks. And also, when something gets spilled, it damages the ceiling below. The plaster is starting to crack and chip from things spilling above.

Most practical advice would be to not allow drinks on the second floor. But hubby is not on board with that. So I need to find the most appropriate filler. Any advice would be most appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gregmills_gw

Pre finished or site finished flooring (site finished is sanded and finished at your home)

You would want to see how much dirt and krud has already been deposited in the gaps.
If there is a lot of dirt the filler wont get deep enough or wont fill the full gap which will require you to clean them first.

But product wise i would suggest Woodwise wood filler. Its good stuff and offers a wide range of pre mixed colors to best match your floor.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 5:51PM
gardeningmomof5

Hi, I did use that in one room. It shrunk, cracked and came up when I swept or vacuumed :( The container said non shrinking, but it did shrink. After it dried and shrunk, I went over it with another layer, then sanded, stained, and poly. Look good for a while, but after a couple years, it needs to be replaced.I was hoping they made a product that was more suitable to contracting? Also, I took a screw driver and cleaned out the crud than sucked it all out with the shop vac.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 7:04PM
live_wire_oak

Filler doesn't work more than a single season. As you've discovered. The behavior is more of the problem than the "problem" here.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 10:27PM
More Discussions
Chinese Hardwood Flooring - After Lumber Liquidators & 60 Minutes
Wondering how folks are now feeling about buying imported...
Ken Fisher
Question for Medium Brown Stained Hardwood Floor Owners
We are having our red oak hardwood floors sanded down....
clwguy
Hallmark Hardwoods Historic Walnut Alta vista collection
Has anyone installed Hallmark Hardwoods Historic Walnut...
lotsofkids
Engineered hardwood floor help needed
We are going to be selling our home and currently are...
cinnamon01
Need help: c.1997 Hartco Pattern Plus 5000
Hello to anyone reading, and thanks. I have Hartco...
speaktodeek
Sponsored Products
Runner: Finnsnes Mocha 2' 6" x 8'
Home Depot
Thomas Kinkade Mountain Retreat Giclee Nickel Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Hooker Furniture Belle Grove Executive Desk - Brown - 060-10460
Hayneedle
Stones Flowers Leaves Tiffany Floor Art Lamp
ParrotUncle
Florence Knoll Style Armchair-Blue Tweed
IFN Modern
Area Rug: Elegant Embrace Red 3' 11" x 5' 7"
Home Depot
SomerTile 7.75x7.75-in Thirties Crest Ceramic Floor and Wall Tile (Case of 25)
Overstock.com
Traditional Stained Glass Dragonfly Shade Metal Base Tiffany Table Lamp For Home
ParrotUncle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™