Filling Knots and Holes

billycNovember 19, 2007

Hi all,

Our character grade white oak flooring arrived last week, and we love it. There are plenty of knots, holes, cracks, etc - which is what we'd been hoping to get.

We're wondering what is the best way to fill these imperfections without hiding them. Do we have to use a "putty" type wood filler? Is there a clear resin or epoxy that is made for this purpose? Would that look strange?

Here is a link to a photo of the planks...

http://bp2.blogger.com/_h4TeEAoomVU/Rz-xoBQtWkI/AAAAAAAAALk/sXe_xVi_Htw/s1600-h/IMG_4002.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

There are professional waterborne wood floor fillers in "knot brown" color that would work here. Or, as I have done on occasion...3M makes a clear epoxy called DM100 that is used in hardwood flooring repair. They make an inexpensive mixing/delivery tool that makes the product easy to mix and apply exactly where you want it. You fill the void an then fill again, if necessary, to bring the filled surface level or just a little proud. You can stuff the bottom of the filled space with sawdust to reduce the amount of epoxy you'd have to use. With a waterborne wood floor filler that would not be necessary...it's cheap enough.

Either method will probably give you good results, but like in anything and wood flooring "test" before you do anything to the floor.

Filler to look for is Timbermate or Woodwise brands.

Bookmark   November 19, 2007 at 6:22PM
billyc

Thanks. Appreciate the help.

Bookmark   November 20, 2007 at 9:04AM
glennsfc

You're welcome.

Very nice flooring you have there. White oak makes for a strong and attractive floor.

Bookmark   November 20, 2007 at 9:29AM
More Discussions
Filler in travertine marble tiles is coming out causing pitting
We put travertine marble throughout our house. We were...
caribbeancupcake
Water-based finish over dark stained floors?
Hi all, Folks are about to start flooring work on my...
afrochic2
Has anyone used Smartcore Floors from Lowes
Hi, we're looking for something that we can put over...
amoore1205
farm house Floors
Hello everyone. I live in a old farmhouse in new england....
jennybog
Solid or engineered wood treads on stairs
I'm in the middle of a major home renovation, which...
swguru
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™