Best way to heat a 400 sq ft room?

TryitoutjFebruary 13, 2012

My house is horribly insulated so I am going to stop heating most of it and stick to a few heated rooms.

I have a 400 sq ft room with large bay windows. I've read elsewhere that I should expect to need 10 watts per/sq ft (more if there are large windows), so 4000+ watts for my room.

I have a 900/1500 watt heater. I've already had issues where the breaker trips so my electrical grid isn't very robust either (heater + hair dryer, for example, pops the circuit).

What are my options for heating this 400 sq ft room?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_home

You could use a kerosene heater. Home Depot has one for $129. It puts out 23,000 BTU which will keep you toasty on the coldest nights.

I am not a fan of these. They need to a source of ventalation. I suggest cracking up the window when you use it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Depot Kersosene Heater

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 7:19PM
bus_driver

Any fuel burning non-vented heater will add lots of water vapor to a room. And a potential for carbon monoxide. I had a case where a church wanted to heat a room of about 400 square feet on an irregular schedule but the heating set up required heating 8000 square feet, all or nothing. The 8000 feet was on a setback of 50 deg. So I installed baseboard electric in the room with a low voltage wall thermostat (under a security cover) in series with a spring wound timer and a silent relay controlled by the timer/thermostat combo. Turn the timer and get heat for a maximum of 12 hours. Reset the timer if occupied for longer times. No one could tamper with the temperature setting and no one could forget to turn off the heat. With unpredictable and irregular use, a programmed thermostat was not appropriate. The baseboard had to raise the temperature from 50 (the setback) to 70.

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 9:35PM
PRO
CJ Mechanical of North jersey llc.

fujitsu heat pump

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 4:58PM
saltidawg

The ratings for the linked Infrared heaters are 500/1000/1500 Watts. How's that going to "cut your electricity bill?"

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 3:48PM
More Discussions
Does anyone have experience with an R6GI?
I'm looking at some options to replace one of my HVAC...
aggieben
$10,000 for a Furnace and A/C? Seems pricey....
Hello, So we bought our house a bit over a year ago...
bonsaicowboy
Navian condensing combi, good or bad?
Hi, I am looking into converting from oil to gas and...
rickyk22
Enery efficiency of exposed ductwork?
What are your thoughts on the energy efficiency of...
ccintx
Floor Air Register and ductwork
In recently doing light cleaning on air registers in...
Char Holdenried
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™