Will my pipes freeze?

ironmaidenFebruary 26, 2008

I have lived in apartments all my life, where with a push of a button the super will come in and fix everything. Now I am moving into my first home and I am petrified. Please, help me figure out the temperature to set the thermostat: I have 4 zones of baseboard hydrolic heat: basement, 2 floors, and attic playroom. Someone told me that you have to keep the thermostat above 55 degrees to prevent pipe freezing, others says that it just has to be above freezing (32 degrees). What's the right way? Thanks fo your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
baymee

Congratulations on having the most comfortable heating heating system, warm water !

Technically, water doesn't freeze until 32 degrees, but just because your thermostat is set at 32, that doesn't mean that pipes exposed to colder air won't freeze. Also, pipes that are in freezing areas don't just freeze and burst. It takes a bit longer of a period for that to happen unless the water has been sitting there forever.

You should determine where the coldest area of your house, containing water pipes is located and keep the temperature in the house at the lowest setting that will keep the coldest area above freezing. Of course, nobody wants to live like that, so I would think that 55 degrees is plenty warm to prevent pipes from freezing unless you find uninsulated pipes in a very cold area.

Bookmark   February 26, 2008 at 6:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
corvetteguy

If most/all of your pipes are in the
basement and they go up interior walls.
You can probably set the temp to 44 if you are
going away.
If you have pipes in crawl spaces I would worry that
even 55 may not save them. if that zone remains off.
You can add antifreeze to the system to insure that
they will be ok. and the rest of th plumbing
will probably be ok at 44 degrees.

Bookmark   February 27, 2008 at 4:54PM
More Discussions
auxiliary heat vs. emergency heat
Greetings, I have a Bryan Evoltion Control heat pump...
decadent
Heat pump choices for first timer. Advice??
Hello, First post, great place you all have here. We...
adayrider
Nozzle size for Oil Burner ??
I have a Slant fin oil furnace that heats my water...
big_al_41
HVAC question
I live near Charlotte NC and have a new Bryant Hybrid...
gtodd1966
Enery efficiency of exposed ductwork?
What are your thoughts on the energy efficiency of...
ccintx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™