Unfitted kitchens?

lavender_lassMay 18, 2011

I'm really drawn to unfitted kitchens. They're so unique and really show the personality of the owner. There are some beautiful ones on this forum and the Small Homes forum. While it's probably more difficult to blend all those finishes together, it does create a cozy and comfortable kitchen, especially if you like the cottage, country or farmhouse styles.

Does anyone have (or want) an unfitted look to their kitchen? Are you mixing in more than one or two countertop choices? Maybe some painted and some wood cabinets? I like the freedom you have with this style...and it's great for repurposing old items and giving them new life. Mama Goose (on the Small Homes forum) does this so well. Anyone have any stories, pictures, links they'd like to share?

Thanks in advance...and if you've already posted pictures of your kitchen, post them again! It's the way many of us draw inspiration for our own spaces :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
allison0704

I love unfitted kitchens. My pieces were built as furniture, with finished sides and backs. I tease DH that I will take them all with me. ;D

I have three paint colors and one stain. Three countertop materials.

Given a do-over, I would stick the fridge in the pantry and only have a hutch on that wall.

I had the bases cut off all of our bathroom cabinets and feet installed so that they would look more furniture like too.

Here is a link that might be useful: my kitchen

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 8:15PM
lavender_lass

Allison- Your kitchen is so beautiful! It is the kind of unfitted kitchen we all dream of having :)

Mine will be far less grand, but hopefully incorporate some of the same ideas. I love your hutches and maybe I can use something like that for dish storage.

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 2:35PM
lee676

Ikea has sold these for many years (Varde). Freestanding tables, benches, and furniture-like storage rather than built-in cabinetry.

Simply using legs rather than toekicks on the lower cabinets can achieve this look to some extent. Although it makes for difficult cleaning underneath the cabinets.

Some parts of a kitchen just want to be bolted in place though - the sink and oven for example.

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 5:21AM
More Discussions
Faucet for kitchen remodel
I am having trouble finding the right faucet to go...
kathy6421
Question for those who have Painted Conestoga Cabinets?
Curious if you went with mdf or paint grade center...
aries61
Looking for stainless steel sink recommendations
Hey GW - I am looking for a single bowl SS sink for...
swatyreno
WAC vs. Seagull vs. Kichler or what else - "best" LED UCL
can someone please help/advise i feel like a fish out...
lmgch
Gap between backsplash and over-the-range microwave?
Hi, all. Does anyone have an over-the-range microwave...
hjs
Sponsored Products
Sovet Italia | Aikido Dining Table, 59-Inch
YLiving.com
Rack It Up Trim Ceiling Cover - 2 Pack - MPT12
$16.99 | Hayneedle
Serena & Lily Riviera Barstool
Serena & Lily
Red Bonded Sophia Leather Chairs, Set of 2
Cost Plus World Market
Basket Metal Dining Chair in White White
$153.00 | LexMod