Help! Choosing floors for new house...

cherilswansonNovember 8, 2011

Long story short, building house and was going to have dark stained (diluted black) concrete flooring throughout the entire house. Had problem come up with electrical conduit surfacing through living area floor. Builder and I decided that it would be better to install wood flooring in living, breakfast area and kitchen (this is open plan), rather than risk staining the floor and it not looking good. Builder is paying the cost for the wood floors and they will be 5-inch handscraped oak floors. My cabinets and island will be antique white. I thought I wanted dark hardwood floors to blend in with dark scored concrete in foyer and hallways, but when I held a piece of the dark reddish color wood next to the stain it looked bad to me. Should I stay with a dark color to blend with adjoining hallways and foyer, or would a light color wood look ok? My furniture is going to be dark, except for dining table and chairs, which is french country white. I have read posts on here about nightmares keeping darker wood floors clean. I don't have small children, but do have a golden retriever and a cat. I think I am stressing too much over this! Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

I know you've made your decision...but why is stained concrete out? I can't believe a builder would be stymied by this and not devise a plan.

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 2:34PM
cherilswanson

Sorry Glenn, just now seeing your response. The builder has a fear that the electrical conduit may at a later time resurface in another area close by the area that is already surfacing. The builder would much rather spend less money on stained floors than wood floors, but due to this concern we have decided wood may be best.

Bookmark   November 20, 2011 at 8:07PM
Divyah

The floor is the essential part of the home designing. It's a procedure that combines your personal taste with your thinking about practicality.

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 3:30PM
More Discussions
Where can I find some replacement Haddon Hall parquet tiles?
I've been searching the Internets for a particular...
qacer
Carpet on concrete..what is proper installation?
Want to install carpeting on cement slab foundation,...
slc2053
Hallmark Hardwoods Historic Walnut Alta vista collection
Has anyone installed Hallmark Hardwoods Historic Walnut...
lotsofkids
Any experience with BellaCera hardwood flooring and/or hickory wood?
We fell in love with a hickory hardwood in their line,...
happyallison
3/8 vs 1/2 inch thick engineered hardwood for staple down installation
We are trying to decide between two similar engineered...
chellefnp
Sponsored Products
VIG Furniture - Bianca Silky Black Modern Platform Bed - VGDVLS405
Great Furniture Deal
Blue Leaves Wool Rug
$99.99 | zulily
Large Etched Stainless Steel Garden Torch W/ Scroll Floor Stand -Stainless Steel
Signature Hardware
Le Bain Soap Dispenser
$39.50 | FRONTGATE
Bruck | Poise Down Pendant Light
$234.75 | YLighting
Chrysalis Floor Lamp by Flos Lighting
$4,995.00 | Lumens
Bedroom Tiffany Victorian Floor Lamp
ParrotUncle
Tiffany-style Victorian Bronze Floor Lamp
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for: