New to hardwood flooring!

lovestotravelNovember 4, 2012

Morning All!

Our daughter has purchased a home built in mid-60s, a split. The bedrooms upstairs, as well as the hallway and stairs are hardwood. I would say all are in decent condition, no deep cuts or holes. Some areas of graying in the bedrooms, which will be covered by rugs -- the attached photo shows the hallway floor upon necessary carpet removal.

Being hardwood newbies, we are really unclear as to how to clean these for now. I've read on this forum that it's best to have a pro come in to advise about what the flooring needs are to bring them to their highest potential, but time and money don't really allow for that until next year.

Would truly appreciate any knowledge you are able to share!! Thanks in advance!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

Take up carpet tackless strip (I know...funny, cause its got lots of tacks). Clean the floor with a 'damp' mop or rag. Any detergent solution is fine, such as Mr. Clean. All you want to do is remove any surface dirt...a wrung out 'damp' rag will do the job. Do not use Murphy's Oil Soap or any similar cleaner with soap as an ingredient.

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 3:25PM
lovestotravel

Thanks Glenn, tackless strip is up and staples have been carefully removed. Does it matter if floor etc are washed before wood filler is put in staple holes?

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 6:13PM
glennsfc

Doesn't matter, but I would clean it up first, then fill the holes.

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 12:22AM
More Discussions
What cork flooring manufacturer is best?
I am leaning towards cork flooring in my kitchen reno...
laurarenos7
Un-level kitchen and associated issues...
So my wife and I just finished a renovation of our...
hundredwaters
Tile over fiberglass?
Long story short, we added some porches to our new...
Nick Anderson
Handscraped hardwood -- will it become dated?
So we are in the process of building a new home. We...
carsonheim
Has anyone used Smartcore Floors from Lowes
Hi, we're looking for something that we can put over...
amoore1205
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™