Butter vs Irish butter

donnar57March 6, 2011

Despite my arguing, my husband bought a 1/2 lb chunk of Irish butter.

What's the different between Irish butter and plain old ordinary salted butter from the US?

PS He shouldn't be eating either one, but I can't argue with him.

Donna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wizardnm

I believe it has a higher butterfat content and the higher the better for most things. I splurge on Plugra butter which is a European style butter made here in the US.

Nancy

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 5:30PM
iris_gal

Heartburn forced me to give up butter on sandwiches, toast, anything. And hate mayo in a cold roast beef sandwich!

A discussion here about different butter-making processes convinced me to try Irish butter. Happy Days are here. No heartburn!!

If someone is not suffering as I was, and cannot detect a flavor difference, I wouldn't pay the extra.

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 6:11PM
lindac

It's goooood!!
I have a friend who "likes butter". One time he gathered about 5 kinds of butter...no maybe 6. There was Kerrygold, Pelugra, another French brand, the butter from the Amish market and plain ole supermarket butter. We rated the odd and expensive French brand best.....with the Amish brand a very close second.
Yes....there is a huge difference in butters. You won't notice it for things like sauteeing onions but for a spread on fresh French bread, expensive is lots better.
Linda C

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 6:38PM
riverrat1

Ditto Linda! Us too. We love the french butter too much! LOL! I find that Land O Lakes supermarket butter compared to French or Irish butter is a hands down winner.

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 9:24PM
sally2_gw

So Linda, was the Pelugra the odd and expensive French brand, or was it the other one that you didn't give a name for? (I get confused easily sometimes.)

Sally

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 8:01AM
triciae

Sally,

Plugra (not Pelugra) is made by Keller's Creamery right here in the US. It is not a French butter. Plugra is 82% butterfat versus the 80% of many other brands. So, it has a bit less water. It's great stuff for flakey pastries and also for sauces. I used to use it quite a bit but we switched to organic dairy a few years back & Plugra's not organic. :(

/tricia

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 8:16AM
lindac

No the un named French brand ( I forget the name) tasted best.

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 10:19AM
arley_gw

About 25 years ago I lived for a few months in Haiti. Couldn't get any fresh milk or many other items I was used to, but butter from Normandy was available. (I suppose it was because there was a weekly round trip flight from Port-au-Prince to Paris, and the market could import it just as easily from France as it could from any other country.) It was exquisite.

According to Wikipedia, in Europe they make butter from cream that is pasteurized then fermented with special lactobacilli; in the US, butter is made from pasteurized non-fermented butter. That probably accounts for some of the difference in flavor.

Here is a link that might be useful: butter

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 5:07PM
Islay_Corbel

Try making your own!

Here is a link that might be useful: make your own!

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 3:03AM
kframe19

The American equivalent is probably sour cream butter instead of the typical store butter which is made from sweet cream.

In the old days the milk and cream was simply left to sour a bit before it was churned.

It has a very rich and complex taste that store butter just doesn't have.

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 10:26PM
donnar57

I gather, from what you all are saying, is that it should be used for buttering bread, rather than used in baking - correct? If it has a slightly different butterfat ratio and different taste, it could change the cookie recipe, right?

Donna

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 9:06AM
sally2_gw

Thanks, Tricia and Linda, I had forgotten I asked a question on this thread.

I don't know the answer to your question, Donna, but Tricia pointed out that the higher fat content in the Plugra made for flakey pastries and better sauces. I don't know what it would do to cookies, but I'd guess it'd make them better. I've been told that the Kerrygold is great for slathering on toast because it tastes so good you want to taste it.

Sally

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 9:34AM
jvc_nashville

I'm new here and wanted to get my feet wet. I love Plugra butter. The name comes from the french plus gras, meaning more fat. More fat always tasts good:-)

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 5:45PM
More Discussions
Sharing Jacques Pepin
Hi all - rather than tacking this onto the 'Peeves'...
carolb_w_fl
What can I make to go with..
Dh has a potluck on Friday. I am making red lentil...
tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
white dishes that do not scratch or chip
Looking for durable white dishes
pianopiano
Please clarify this butter question......
Help! my brain isn't working on this one & I need...
amck2
I'm a corned beef virgin
I was at Sam's club today and they had nice looking...
Holly- Kay
Sponsored Products
Jane Hamley Wells | BEO Rectangular Table
YLiving.com
Cielos Bath Rug 24" x 36" - SKY BLUE
$54.90 | Horchow
43 Inch Stainless Steel Undermount Butterly Corner Double Bowl Kitchen Sink with
eModern Decor
Freshware 30-cavity Silicone Chocolate,Candy,and Peanut Butter Cup Mold
Overstock.com
Slope Chair Art Print
$24.99 | Dot & Bo
Butter Cream Glaze and Brass One Light Lenoir Lamp
$538.20 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™