is 50,000 btus enough for small apt?

belladomFebruary 2, 2012

I have a tenant w/a 50,000 btu, 4-year old thermostat (Cozy) They complain the 2-bedroom, 700-sq foot apt is not warm enough here in L.A.near the beach.

There could be other issues, (single-pane windows, high ceilings, no attic, 50s-era zero insulation, etc.)

Is there a warmer thermostat option on the market? Or should I weatherstrip the windows and doors and/or replace them with fiberglass....and forget about the thermostat?

Any suggestions appreciated.... thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
veesubotee

What is a 50,000 BTU thermostat? A TS doesn't care how many BTUs it's controlling.

How about make and model number?

V

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 10:00AM
dapoppa

A thermostat is a switch that turns a furnace or A/C on and off to maintain a set temperature. If the heater is rated at 50,000 btus that should be more than sufficient, unless maybe they leave the windows open for fresh air or perhaps the delivery system is insufficient.

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 10:00AM
veesubotee

Boy, talk about dueling posts.

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 10:03AM
patrickjd9

We live in an older, but insulated, 1600 square foot house (with equal size basement) in the northern suburbs of Washington, DC. Our furnace is 80,000 BTU, 90% efficient.

It's plenty of heat, but looks like the Cozy is just a wall heater in a single location, with no distribution through the apartment. Your tenants must be roasting in one room and freezing in the rest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cozy furnace

Bookmark   February 11, 2012 at 4:17PM
heatseeker

weatherize your house first, then worry about the heat. You might want to gtet the heater inspected for proper oper.

Bookmark   February 15, 2012 at 8:41AM
wwu123

I lived a block off the beach in L.A. about 20 years ago, in a similar sized, unrenovated apartment. I can't remember whether there was even any heating in the apt; neither do I remember feeling particularly cold in the apt (and I grew up in Hawaii). But definitely the coast can get the coastal fog and low clouds that don't burn off til later in the day, so it can be quite cool outside in winter.

I suspect the 50K BTU's would be adequate, except that it is mostly not circulating, maybe mostly rising to the high ceiling and being lost through the roof. Poor weatherizing also may make it drafty towards the outer walls, feeling more uncomfortable than actually being so cold. In addition to sealing the doors, walls, windows, maybe a ceiling fan run in reverse can get the heat off the ceiling and push it back down towards the outer walls, evening out the temperature.

Bookmark   February 15, 2012 at 11:18AM
More Discussions
Need help with my Heat Pump
I have a 2 ton carrier air handler that is 410-A compatible....
Jason Johnson
Frozen radiators!
My boiler failed, and all the radiators froze and split....
mtvhike
Need help choosing an efficient HRV Air Exchanger
Hi, My house as a total area of 2300 square feet (1150*x)....
Jim_Lafleur
foul smell from gas furnace vents
Please help. We have a gas furnace (only 2 years old)...
taracol
wood stove insert causing boiler to cycle?
We have an oil-fired boiler, an indirect water heater,...
kitasei
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™