$$$??? Cost of removing vinyl flooring & subfloor

cindyloodNovember 4, 2010

We've always been DIY'ers before but just not up to ripping out our kitchen floor for our remodel. I'd really appreciate hearing if there is a general cost guideline for having your "tile guy" rip out existing vinyl flooring (2 layers) & the subflooring beneath (2 layers?. The vinyl is not sheet, it is 12 x 12 tiles. The kitchen is 240 square feet. I know it's a dirty job but I was a bit surprised that it was going to run around $1000 for the rip-out, including removal of the flooring. Does that sound in the ballpark? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
clg7067

Well, I was waiting for somebody else to answer, but I think $4 a sf is a lot. Have you called some handyman services to ask what they would charge? It's usually by the hour, about $60. That would get you 16 hours worth of handyman time plus some leftover to pay for the dumping fee.

I had to remove some myself in my entryway. It was 1/4 inch plywood and one layer of vinyl screwed down good! It took me 3 sweaty hours to remove the 70 sq ft and I'm a 50+ year old woman. I'm sure a strong man could do it much faster. ;)

Bookmark   November 5, 2010 at 10:08AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanelewis

I would assume the vinyl is glued down on a quarterinch underlayment. We had to have our tile guy pull up the vinyl and then remove the luan from the decking which was a huge mess. I don't think he charged me that much to do it. I think our kitchen which is the same amount is going to be about $500 which includes removing quarter round and resetting it when the tile is done.

He doesn't want to do it and is charging you accordingly.

Bookmark   November 5, 2010 at 4:42PM
More Discussions
EZ Lay Vinyl Plank Reviews?
We are looking at installing the Tiramisu EZ Lay Vinyl...
kyorkston
No hardwood warranty from HOM Furniture store - midwest
So after falling in love with Birch engineered floor...
Maryna
trying to figure out vinyl vs wood laminate Help !
I am new to using anything other than real wood......
roksee
What to use on edging and stairs when stripping of old hardwood floor
We are in the process of stripping and refinishing...
candeelyn
Carpet removal cost seems high, is it?
I got a quote for new carpet in a new-to-me house....
prettybluehouse
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™