Laminate flooring advice

lorena-bNovember 16, 2011

I am not familiar with laminate floors having only wood floors in previous homes. I am trying to install a sturdy laminate floor in a small home.

Questions: 1) Does it matter if it is 12 mm, or 8 mm?

2)will the 12 mm be quieter?

3)I looked at Shaw Natural Selection II, Armstrong Illusions and a Lex Floor cottage collection laminate that is 12 mm.

They all have 20plus year warranties. I tried scratching all of them with metal and the Lex Floor shows slight scratches.

Does anyone have experience (positive or negative) with any of these materials? The flooring will be installed throughout house, over wood subfloor, 1920's home, in kitchen also.

Thank you for any advice as to what to look for when selecting laminate flooring. I would like to avoid any problems if at all possible. I read many problems with Armstrong grand illusions. Are these problems consistent for Armstrong in general?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floorguy

At Costco, the Harmonics laminate is hard to beat on price and quality.

Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 8:06AM
alizacf

I have had shaw laminate flooring in my kitchen for the last couple of years. It is very easy to keep clean but it does show signs of wear and tear in the form of nicks and scratches. I also tried the scratch test on lots of samples before I bought the stuff, it seemed ok, but I have to say I am disappointed with this product. This does not mean this will happen with all shaw products, but I did not have a good experience. ( My tile had a stone look)

Bookmark   December 5, 2011 at 6:35PM
live_wire_oak

Plastic flooring in 1920 house is just flat out wrong. You can buy wood for the price of a good laminate and it's underlayment and it would be MUCH more appropriate. And something like actual linoleum would be appropriate for the kitchens and baths.

Bookmark   December 5, 2011 at 11:27PM
tectonicfloors

I also want to know about it and this page gives me very useful information about Laminate flooring. Thanks for sharing.

Bookmark   December 10, 2011 at 1:10AM
More Discussions
What is the size of your longest hardwood floor boards?
What ranges are the sizes of your hard wood floor boards...
tlbean2004
Solid or engineered wood treads on stairs
I'm in the middle of a major home renovation, which...
swguru
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
nanj
Has anyone purchased from value floors direct?
Has anyone purchased flooring from value floors direct? I...
willintotry
bamboo floor fumes--anyone else have this problem??
Hi, has anyone installed a bamboo floor and had trouble...
nikwaters
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™