Baseboard vs forced hot air

DSK1967February 22, 2012

Hi, we live in Northern NJ, doing a total remodel.

We will put radiant heat in the upstairs master bath, and baseboard hot water downstairs.

Upstairs is a dilemna - our GC says that forced hot air is the way to go, the plumber is pushing baseboard.

Onthe surface, I'd prefer baseboard, forced hot air is either super warm or super cold, but our GC is telling us that new systems eliminate that problem.

Forced hot would be cheaper, as the ducts are there for the AC anyway.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_home

A foreced hot air system powered by a furnace which has multiple stages (2 or 3) and a variable speed blower should not have the problems you are describing.

I am in central NJ and installed a Carrier Infinity 3 stage gas furnaces. The only time I hear the vents is in the morning when the thermostat is taking the temperature from 64 to 70 degrees. Even then I don't get a blast of cold air since the blower first starts in the low stage and then ramps up to high after 5 minutes. The furnace normally will operate in the low or medium stage to maintain the temperature. I don't realize the furnace is even running unless I look at the thermostat.

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 4:06PM
david_cary

Agree with Mike - there are so many bad installs that people have lived with, they get scared on forced air. A properly done system is just fine, heats the house faster and is a lot cheaper. I am really surprised that anyone installs baseboards anymore - I would think it would be radiant or forced air.

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 9:07PM
ionized_gw

Do you want your heat in many zones? How does that influence the cost of hydronic vs forced air heat?

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 3:48PM
twingle

We are considering the same thing. The new forced air systems have the ability to 1. add moisture if air needs it or remove it 2. you can filter the air especially helpful with allergies. If you are putting in a CAC it makes sense to do forced hot air b/c you would be using the same duct work.

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 1:47PM
More Discussions
HVAC design
In determining the HVAC system to use in our new construction,...
bethmcg
New HVAC install in So Cal
Hi Everyone, I just got a quote from Home Depot contractor....
revlimit
gas wont come on. forced air gas fired furnance
the Furnace was starting then running a couple minutes...
waterguytexas
Replacing heat pump and keeping current air handler....
Well the good news is we are being blessed with a new...
piratechick
Does Air Duct Cleaning really help?
We live in a 40 year old home with a forced air gas...
lincann
Sponsored Products
Lippa 36" Walnut Dining Table in Black
$699.00 | LexMod
New Norm Kettle Thermos Jug - Menu A/S
$69.95 | HORNE
Dyson Mini Turbine Head
$69.50 | FRONTGATE
Baroque Stained Glass Bronze Floor Lamp
Overstock.com
Yosemite Home Decor Ceiling Fans with Light Kit Universal Remote Control White a
$57.60 | Home Depot
43" Fanimation Air Shadow Oil Rubbed Bronze Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™