Maximum tile height from hard wood threshold

BBSteeleOctober 9, 2012

We have 3/4" hardwood floors throughout, and therefore have 3/4" allowed for tile in the bathroom if we want the floors to be a continuous height. My question has a few facets:

1) We would really like a terra-cotta (style) tile of 6" size or smaller, but have found only those that are nearly 7/8" in height. With backer board and/or other substrate material, a 3/8" terra-cotta would be much better... is there such a thing?

2) What is the maximum "slope" we can create with our hardwood threshold to go from hard wood to tiled floors..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

If you haven't, you need to talk to your tile guy first. What's the substrate going to be?

Folks tend to step over thresholds, not on them.

I just installed a marble floor in a bathroom and had to beef up and level the floor first (ply, cement board, leveler, etc.). The difference in finished floor height was about 1". I had a 4" x 1 1/4" thick threshold custom made, with a bevel on both edges (larger bevel on one side). I installed it level - no slope. Looks and feels perfect, i.e no trip hazard or any of that.

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 10:17AM
More Discussions
Difference visually between 1/8 and 3/16 grout joints?
We're thinking 1/8 but the installer is suggesting...
joep_2009
Marble floor in a high traffic area?
I was planning to purchase marble for the floor in...
lucik77
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
nanj
Tigerwood Flooring - if you have it would you do it again
We are considering putting in Tigerwood flooring. We...
snowcamp
Review on Taun wood
Has anyone used Taun wood for flooring? We are looking...
itspepsico
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™