Under the carpet--what is it?

littlegreenhausOctober 7, 2013

Hi anyone/everyone!

We have a 100-year-old house that currently has carpet, which we plan on replacing with hardwoods. We've pulled up the carpet in several corners to see what we're workin' with as we'd love to refinish. In the living room, it appears there's some beat-up dark hardwoods (not sure if salvageable, but that'd be nice!). The front bedroom has this shiny, smooth, flat, black material under the padding. Is this tar? Subflooring? Rosin paper? Weird vinyl flooring? The yellow edge seemed like the same height/texture/etc. That leveling goop? Google has left us more confused, and we truly don't know what we're looking for. Obviously we plan to eventually call a professional for an assessment and quote, but in the meantime--SO CURIOUS. Any help or ideas are appreciated! :)

This post was edited by littlegreenhaus on Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 22:41

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

My best guess? If this is not in tile format (squares) then it might be genuine linoleum. If tile format, then likely it is asphalt tile with yellow feature strip.

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 11:24PM
weedyacres

Yeah, looks like some sort of vinyl/linoleum. If you want hardwood, you'll need to pry it all up and scrape/steam/chemically remove the adhesive. Link below shows some of the fun you may be in for if you proceed.....

Here is a link that might be useful: cleaning old vinyl/linoleum off hardwoods

Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 8:02PM
littlegreenhaus

Thanks, guys! That certainly looks like some fun indeed... slow, painstaking fun.

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 10:42AM
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b

If I could pull my carpet back and find that, the carpet would be out of here and that linoleum shined up! You have it and don't want it; I don't have it and wish I did. Some things in life just aren't fair.
Before I went to the work of taking it up I would lay new subfloor over it being as careful as possible. Maybe someone in the future would love to find it waiting for them.

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 10:54PM
momfromthenorth

Make sure it doesn't have asbestos in it before you start doing whatever!

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 11:49AM
More Discussions
I need help on how to get cat urine odor out of concrete?
We had a cat that was 24 years old and the last year...
lindadianne
Flooring for road noise - Carpet or LVT
Hi Everyone, We are looking into replacing our entire...
houston70sranch
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
NYMK
What cork flooring manufacturer is best?
I am leaning towards cork flooring in my kitchen reno...
laurarenos7
Water-based finish over dark stained floors?
Hi all, Folks are about to start flooring work on my...
afrochic2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™