Hollow sound when tapping tile

deepblue_4October 3, 2008

We are in the middle of having 20" x 20" ceramic tile installed. Half of our 800 sqf is installed and has not been grouted yet. Installer had to take 2 days off for another commitment.

We are installing on terrazzo which has been acid washed to remove wax build up. We are using VersaBond, as it is recommended for terrazzo.

Anyway, when tapping on tiles I can hear hollow sounds in certain areas. Is this OK? Or, should installer remove those tiles and replace? He'll be back on Monday and I want to discuss with him.

Thanks for any feedback.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bushleague

Restore the Terrazzo. Actually some people are doing this. I know it's blast past, however it does make a good tile base. The 'hollow' sound that you hear is due to improper adhesion or bedding of the tile in the thin set morter. This can be due to an uneven floor surface (settling) as I assume this is slab construction, or an inadequate amount of morter. Some installers simply 'slap' tiles in place, but what you really need to do is twist each tile back and forth slightly so that it is properly bedded in the morter. This will insure proper adhesion and eliminate that 'dinner plate' sound you hear when tapping.

Bookmark   October 4, 2008 at 4:32AM
deepblue_4

Thank you, Bushleague, for your reply. I am going to have our installer remove the tiles and replace them.

DeepBlue

Bookmark   October 4, 2008 at 7:38PM
al_horses

This is caused by
1. uneven slab
2. inadequate morter
3. low-grade tile

If this turns out to be low-grade tile, the installer may charge you more per square foot to install because of the extra time he's going to spend.

Bookmark   October 7, 2008 at 3:36PM
floorguy

The bigger the tiles, the more floor prep before the tile get set.

Ceramic must achieve 80% coverage. Stone is 100% coverage.

Bookmark   October 7, 2008 at 4:40PM
More Discussions
Need advice. Subway tile on uneven kneewall
So I was kinda pissed off when I walked into my bathroom...
Michael Coates
Need help getting ink/marker off hard wood flooring
Anyone had a child mark on their hardwood floors with...
mattsarmymom
Kentwood Hardwood Flooring
Has anyone installed wood flooring from Kentwood? If...
MichelleDT
farm house Floors
Hello everyone. I live in a old farmhouse in new england....
jennybog
Indusparquet...opinions, please
After a frustrating on-off search for over two year,...
joyintx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™