grout for vinyl tile more cleanable

rebawOctober 10, 2011

i don't want to clean grout but hubbie wants to put down armstrong vinyl tiles with a small grout line between them. THe guy at the floor store said it was different grout and easier to keep clean. True? I can't seem to find any threads about the allure tile planks or the armstrong vinyl tiles for bathrooms. One floor guy said no way for the vinyl tiles in the bathroom...water will get in between the cracks. Hubbie does not want to do sheet linoleum...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joyce_6333

We put Armstrong Luxury Alterna vinyl tile in our mud room, laundry room, and powder room. I love it!! It's gorgeous. It was put down with no grout line. Before they installed the tile, a membrane is put down on the floor, and the tile is installed on this membrane, so its really a floating floor. No one mentioned to me about water being a problem. Not the salesman, the installer, or our GC.

Bookmark   October 14, 2011 at 8:07PM
pam_f

what is the "membrane"? We are just getting ready to install the armstrong luxery alterna vinyl tile and have not read about this step. We will be putting down (with nails) an underlayment wood (luana type) board and than using the provided adhesive.

Please help! I am very anxious to do it right.

Thanks - Pam

Bookmark   October 18, 2011 at 10:44AM
floorguy

You mean grout like the Congoleum Dura-Ceramic uses?

Bookmark   October 19, 2011 at 4:09PM
empet

About a year ago, we did Armstrong Alterna in our bathroom. No water issues at all, no mention from the flooring store about any kind of plastic membrane, it's glued direct on the plywood underlay.
Floor looks great, grout has been easy to clean, but I'm a bad judge of that - I have very low standards for "clean"! I'm very pleased with it, we just picked a different color of Alterna for our kitchen remodel.

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 1:07PM
More Discussions
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
NYMK
What I Learned About Installing Engineered Floors
We just finished installing engineered flooring over...
francesca_sf
'Nature' Brand Wood Flooring
I'm looking for either Brazilian Walnut or Brazilian...
justhuff
Somerset Country Hardwood Made in China
After ordering 1650 sf of Somerset Country hardwood,...
blondie859111
How many different types of floors are ok in a house?
We currently have one type of hardwood in the formal...
emma018
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™