Please advise - Make-up Air system

stacylhFebruary 18, 2013

(Cross posting this with Building a Home forum)


First of all, let me apologize if this is an issue that has been talked to death, but I am just now learning about this and my HVAC guy, contractor, and even appliance salesman are ignorant on this topic as make-up air systems are not common in or area. Our area is usually behind on things.....

Anyway, we are doing a home reno that includes replacing ALL windows and doors with HE ones and we are doing a kitchen gut and replacement.

In doing so, we purchased a 36" gas rangetop and need to choose our ventilation for this. We are leaning toward a Vent-a-hood liner (hood will be made of cabinetry) that is rated 600 cfm (with 900 cfm effective, according to appliance salesman). After doing research on this, I found the topic of make-up air, which I'd never heard of before.

I consulted my contractor, HVAC guy and appliance guy and they all had very limited knowledge of this, so, basically, I need the low-down on what to tell this so they can plan/construct appropriately.

So, if you you know you're doing, please advise on the following:

1) Parts and ducting needed for Vent-a-hood system
2) Parts and ducting needed for a make-up air
3) How are range venting and make-up air linked together so the damper is opened when vent is turned on?
4) Sizing and spacing on all the above.

Our kitchen has easy access attic space above it (for the time being until drywall is replaced so I've got to hurry on this!)

Other considerations:

*2 gas furnaces (one located in basement and the other located in a crawlspace under a lower level addition
*Replacing current electric water heater to an on-demand one
*Gas fireplace (ventless)

Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The Broan makeup air damper for kitchen ventilation was the first residential application on the market. I think they deserve some credit for offering this design while others were silent.

I've read the easiest passive make up air approach is a run of tubing in the basement through the crawl space to the outside, with an appropriate critter cage attached.

I've had to read the below Broan MUA spec sheet a couple of times or more. Newer models may be available.

Looks like you best come up with a installation guide for the Ventahood you choose. It will address a lot of the questions you ask.

So you're going to run the ventilation ducts up to your attic and then out exteriorly to a cap? Your HVAC contractor should definitely be in on that.

Good luck. Kitchen range ventilation is tough on the mind and budget for many of us.

Here is a link that might be useful: Broan MUA damper

This post was edited by SparklingWater on Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 21:47

    Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 8:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 8:54AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Are mini-splits a bad idea.
I have lived in both Europe and the Middle East and...
Neighbor Finally Upgrades to Heat Pump
My next door neighbor finally took my advice and upgraded...
Pls tell me the best uses for Carrier Air Handler Model # FV4CNF003
Hi GW, I am stuck with a new 2012 air handler/heat...
Carrier Greenspeed 25VNA Massachusetts Cold Weather Data
Hello Everyone, I wish I had had this information prior...
Rheem Econet AC
Does anyone know when the new Rheem econet Ac units...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™