wavy look to engineered hard wood floor

ksd51October 18, 2012

The flooring store is showing me engineered wood flooring that has a slight wavy look to it He say that this type of finish help to camoflage any scratches and or dents. I don't know what to think of this look. I have an open floor plan,and the wood floor will cover the downstairs to include the family room, dining room, and living room. Though the dining room and living room are not super formal and fussy, it is not casual. Does type of look, look good in any setting?

Your opinions are very much appreciated. If possible, for those who have this type of floor could you include a photo?

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ksd51

For further clarification , the back of the sample board says "hand scraped and shaped" Perhaps that is how the wavy look is described. Either way, I don't know if I like it. What are your opinions? I guess I am just used to a floor that does not have this "wavy" look. Thanks for your help.

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 10:02AM
idrive65

I'm not a fan of "hand scraped" look flooring unless it's the real deal, i.e. scraped and sanded by hand. The machine made engineered varieties have a regularness of pattern that doesn't appeal to me.

If you don't like the samples, you won't like it when you have it all over your house. :)

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 4:37PM
scotttyb

Hello, I don't personally have "Handscraped" wood floors in our home at the moment, but hoping to install some soon. I personally love that uneven, wavy look. I associate it was a high end look. I think 4" wide or wider is nice as well. I've never heard anyone mention that having them handscraped helps it hide scratches and such, but I guess it could a little. I don't really think there is any real purpose for it, other than people like the way it looks. I'm currently leaning toward some 5" wide Handscraped Natural Hickory Engineered flooring myself. Hickory is about the hardest domestic wood, which is one of the reasons I'm considering it. Sorry I don't have my own floor to show you, but hopefully will soon.

ScottyB

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 4:55PM
scotttyb

By the way, the flooring I'm looking at, they actually do the hand scraping by hand. It is a company in Austin, TX called hardwoodbargains.com. Here is what they say on their facebook page:
All of our handscraped floors are truly scraped by hand. Most "handscraped" floors on the market today are done by machine which simply makes the same repetitive pattern on every plank.

ScottyB

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 5:53PM
glennsfc

The "wavy-look" hand scraped looks intentional and fake to me...I didn't like it from the first time I saw a sample. There are selections in the marketplace that have a distressed-look that I like better.

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 9:24PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Trendy and you can't ever refinish it or you lose the look. Why pay extra for that?

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 4:01PM
rwiegand

Whether finished by machine or hand, if you can see wavy unevenness it was a poor job. The notion that a surface produced by someone who doesn't know how to get a smooth, flat surface with a plane or scraper represents "craftsmanship" is absurd. The point of a hand planed/scraped surface is that the grain of the wood is cleanly cut rather than crushed and frayed with sandpaper resulting in improved clarity and depth of the finished appearance. IMO it's overkill for a floor, given that even a small tabletop can take several hours to get right.

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 1:38PM
glennsfc

I think by "wavy-look" is meant waves go with the direction of the board length and not the width, if I understand the poster's description correctly. Regardless, if it doesn't look natural, then I personally don't like it.

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 6:13PM
littlebug5

I saw some of this installed and it just looked goofy to me. I think "trendy" is the best way to describe it. It's hard to really tell what the intent of this look really is. It didn't look like real wood to me - it looked like something trying to look like wood.

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 9:16PM
More Discussions
natural red oak floors with natural cherry kitchen cabinets
Hi, all. Looking for feedback from anyone who has natural...
hjs
Where can I find some replacement Haddon Hall parquet tiles?
I've been searching the Internets for a particular...
qacer
Advise with flooring?
Hi, I need some advise with flooring. I have a spare...
galinas
Anyone used the Dream Home laminate from LL?
My boyfriend is remodeling his kitchen and we are most...
kitchenlover
Completely Baffled by Pervasive Squeaky Floors
Hi All, We are thinking of putting some money into...
xtremeski2001
Sponsored Products
Armen Living Boston Swivel Bar Stool - Black - 30 in. - LC4044BABL30
$346.50 | Hayneedle
Springcrest Natural Linen Drum Shade 10x12x8 (Spider)
$24.99 | Lamps Plus
Tibetan Stripe Collection - Charlie - Oliver Yaphe
$2,100.00 | HORNE
Foscarini | Totem Floor Lamp
YLiving.com
Cane Grey Geometric Shower Curtain
Overstock.com
Siam 01 Semi-Flushmount by Bover
$1,376.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™