Crack in combustion chamber

pete4February 5, 2009

My oil fired boiler has a 1/2 inch crack in the rear corner. About a year ago when I had it cleaned, the tech said to keep an eye on it. He said if the outside covering of the boiler starts to discolor due to heat, that I would need to replace it. The boiler is 15 years old and runs fine otherwise. Can the combustion chamber be replaced or does the whole unit need to be replaced? The house is 2800 sq. Any suggestions for brands if replacement is necessary? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
baymee

Depending upon the brand, chambers are certainly replaceable. If you have a soft chamber, they usually have cracks, but if the break is near the top of the chamber, it is possible to burn through the base or ruin the upper part of the boiler.

Bookmark   February 5, 2009 at 7:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fourwheelin

Call the manufacturer of the boiler for local parts sourcing. Most every boiler using a combustion chamber has replacement kits. I've had mine replaced once. Not a big deal. Got the replacement through a local hardware store that dealt with the boiler company's parts. Search combustion chamber+"your brand" using search engine. I see Weil McClain kits going for &$50-70 bucks. These get cracks in them from age, but more so from rookie technicians that hit the pot with their flush brushes during cleaning.

Bookmark   February 7, 2009 at 5:30PM
More Discussions
Mike_home, is this a good idea? re: thermostat
@mike_home, You wrote this back in 2012 and I just...
cindywhitall
Carrier Greenspeed 25VNA Massachusetts Cold Weather Data
Hello Everyone, I wish I had had this information prior...
Sabs83
Are mini-splits a bad idea.
I have lived in both Europe and the Middle East and...
bry911
Insulating floor on my raised home in Louisiana.
We recently installed solar panels on our home. We...
ktyler1320
Is 16 SEER Lennox A/C 5X better than 18 SEER Goodman?
I bought a bank repo home 2 years ago in San Diego....
davidahn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™