Inexpensive flooring option??

twingleOctober 5, 2012

My house needs a ton of work, so I have to do it in stages. I am hoping to enlarge my kitchen/great room area by taking over my garage. So the new great room area will be 25 x 25. I would love to have wood floors but money will be really tight. Any ideas? I have 4 boys (8-12rs old) and a 110 lb puppy. So it needs to take abuse and clean well. Thxs

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PTLHardwoods

An idea I always wanted to try and haven't yet. You could take OSB like 1/2" and cut it into squares say 18" or 24" and glue it down with a wood flooring glue. Basically, you're making wood tiles. You could tight lay or leave grout lines and use black grout. Buff it with a buffer to smooth out any splinters and then put some finish over it. The floor will be warm on the feet and the variety of the OSB will hide the wear and tear from the boys. There is 32 sq ft in a sheet of OSB so that should be about .50 sq ft for the wood and you could sand and refinish the floor when it gets thrashed. Don't think you could get much cheaper. Would like to see some pics if you decide to go this route.

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 12:40AM
tkfinn97

Here's a link for plywood flooring. My aunt and uncle did something similar in their summer cabin and they love it!

http://www.remodelaholic.com/2011/01/amazing-plank-look-plywood-flooring-tutorial/

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 8:59PM
jennybog

I think that is GREAT!!!! I live in a old farmhouse that we are redoing. I hope the floors in the living room are good but if they arent i am going to try this

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 7:23AM
twingle

WOW that looks amazing what a fabulous idea!! I might just use it!

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 11:09PM
ailene54

When I did "budget update" for my kitchen I wanted a wood floor, I bought Costco's Bamboo Strand. The price was 59 a box, someone else figured it out to be 2.07 sq ft, he used all pieces, I discarded pieces which I didn't like. Just another idea.
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/flooring/msg0702143821075.html

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 11:20AM
More Discussions
Appalachian Flooring made in Canada
http://www.appalachianflooring.com/evershine I have...
cindywhitall
Any advise? Refinished floor looking horrible
Hello, I am hoping somebody will have some piece of...
mokotes
bamboo floor fumes--anyone else have this problem??
Hi, has anyone installed a bamboo floor and had trouble...
nikwaters
Has anyone used Smartcore Floors from Lowes
Hi, we're looking for something that we can put over...
amoore1205
Tigerwood Flooring - if you have it would you do it again
We are considering putting in Tigerwood flooring. We...
snowcamp
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™