Matching wood kitchen floor to rest of the apartment

Valerie EmmerichOctober 10, 2013

In our condo (100+ year-old building) we have hardwood floors throughout - fir with polyurethane - that we refinished 14 years ago, although they could stand another refinishing. We just got rid of our old disgusting kitchen floor (vinyl sheeting, 3 layers, with the original wood floor underneath, but unfortunately it wasn't refinishable - too much water damage).

So we had the old wood floor in the kitchen removed and they put in fir strip flooring, same as rest of the apartment. The goal is to stain (and then poly) the bare fir floor in the kitchen so as to match as much as possible the floor in the rest of the place - it's a small condo, so the entryway floor and the living room floor are adjacent to the kitchen.

Our floor guy, who I trust completely, is using a Carlisle finish, then following with a couple coats of poly - we'll see a sample in a few days. He says we'll never match completely the rest of the place because that wood is very old and has darkened naturally - there's no stain on it, just poly. But in 6 months to a year, he says the kitchen floor will darken to a point where it will closely resemble the rest of the floor in the apartment.

So I guess my question is, is "closely resemble" good enough so that it won't look weird? I was initially thinking of doing an entirely different kind of wood floor in the kitchen, but the majority opinion seems to be that it's best to continue with the rest of the wood in the house, both for aesthetics and for eventual resale.

Has anyone gone through this and have any experiences or opinions to share? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gregmills_gw

The biggest difference you will notice is 100 yr old fir and new fir.
The color can come close but the age difference will have an effect on the look.

Ideally to get both the exsisting and new floor to match would be to refinish everything together. Then stain a a semi dark at the very minimum to get an even color.

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 8:14PM
lazy_gardens

If the size and species is the same and the color is reasonably close, very few people will notice a difference.

Almost no one notices the different species in my bathroom: it's 1890s pine and 2012 oak. They notice the size difference first.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 10:11AM
Valerie Emmerich

Thanks!

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 10:31AM
More Discussions
Is it a bad idea to use pebble tiles in the kitchen?
I am wondering if pebble tiles work ok in the kitchen...
sherry0117
Review on Taun wood
Has anyone used Taun wood for flooring? We are looking...
itspepsico
Water-based finish over dark stained floors?
Hi all, Folks are about to start flooring work on my...
afrochic2
Has anyone purchased from value floors direct?
Has anyone purchased flooring from value floors direct? I...
willintotry
Solid or engineered wood treads on stairs
I'm in the middle of a major home renovation, which...
swguru
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™