Help...When to seal/enhance tumbled marble?

pmaru77_organicOctober 26, 2011

I've got the shower floor down and want to grout tonight.

But am wondering if I can use the sealer/enhancer before I grout. I tried the sealer/enhancer on some sample grout and did not care for it. So if I grout first and then seal, it will be practically impossible to seal/enhance just the topof the tiles (1" tiles) If the sealer/enhancer gets into the sides of the tiles will it adversly affect the grouting by not adhering properly? Or should I grout and just live with the darker look of the grout.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
OrchidOCD

Every reference I've read suggests sealing natural stone before grouting so that the sealer will act as a grout release for the face of the stone. On heavily textured stones, it's also suggested to use a grout bag rather than float to apply the grout.

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 1:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pmaru77_organic

Well, here's what went down.

I used enhanced sealer sparingly so it would not get down the grout joints. This did not work particularly well, as the sealer.enhancer leaked down a fair percentage of the joints (not grouted). It says in the instructions that it makes a good grout release and you should wait 6 hours before grouting. I waited about 2 hours and grouted. I wanted to ensure that the grout would stick to the sealer/enhancer because if it didn't I'd be really screwed.

From the looks of it, it stuck pretty well because it took a lot of work and will take some more to get the grout off the top of the tiles (mostly haze, but well adhered haze.

Bottom line: I don't know what the best way to do this,I guess the b best thing to do would be a test with the sealer totally cured, and then grout, and later test to see if it adhered well to the tile grout grooves.

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 12:03PM
More Discussions
Need advice. Subway tile on uneven kneewall
So I was kinda pissed off when I walked into my bathroom...
Michael Coates
farm house Floors
Hello everyone. I live in a old farmhouse in new england....
jennybog
Best flooring for dog who doesn't 'hold it'
Hello Everyone- I am moving into a new house. The house...
krylander
Inexpensive laminate for apt. over a detached garage?
I'm shopping for a laminate for this space, my contactor...
happyallison
Need help getting ink/marker off hard wood flooring
Anyone had a child mark on their hardwood floors with...
mattsarmymom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™